Cannot publish survey with pre-published feature service set as the submission_url parameter

Jump to solution
04-04-2023 07:14 AM
MattLayman
New Contributor II

This past fall, I successfully created a survey in Survey123 Connect that points to a pre-published feature service containing two SQL Server point feature classes and two SQL Server tables. The two tables and one of the point feature classes relate to the main point feature class through a relationship class. I am now trying to build another survey that uses a different feature service but will eventually reference some of the same point feature classes and tables referenced in the feature service of the survey that I built last fall.

To get started with building this second form, I was hoping it would be as simple as copying the first form that I had built in Survey123 Connect by clicking on the 3 dots next to the form in Connect, clicking "save as", and creating a new form with a different name. I then changed the title of the form, the submission_url parameter to the new feature service I've built, and have been attempting to publish with no luck. When trying to publish, Connect always hangs at this screen-

Publishing.png

A folder called "Survey-TESTING" is successfully created in Portal under my username, but nothing is then added to that folder.

What's strange to me is that, as of now, my new feature service is identical to the first feature service I made, the only difference is that it has a different name. And, in the new form that I'm trying to create, I haven't changed anything besides the submission_url parameter and the title of the form. I figured for the sake of testing purposes, this would be the best way to go by making very small, incremental changes to the form and to the new feature service, but I'm not even able to get past this first, seemingly elementary step.

I have also tried building a very simple form from scratch that references the new feature service, and I get the same result. I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling Survey123 Connect, trying the latest version and previous versions of the software, all to no avail.

Has anyone had success doing what I'm trying to do? Perhaps connecting more than one feature service to the same feature classes and tables isn't best practice/not possible?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MattLayman
New Contributor II

I figured it out. I was specifying the REST endpoint for the service as the submission_url (link looks something like this: "...rest/services/Repair_and_Inspection_Report_Feature_Services/Repair_and_Inspection_Reports/FeatureServer", but when I switched to using the portal item link for the same service (looks something like this: "...portal/home/item.html?id=asdfjkl"), I was able to publish and collect data into the database as expected.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Vinzafy
Occasional Contributor

Hey there,

I'm not sure if this is the solution for you specific case, however in the past the fix that worked for me when a survey got hung up at that same publishing screen you're experiencing is outlined in the page below:

Unable to update and publish surveys from ArcGIS Survey123 Connect 

In short, it instructs you to open the .itemInfo file in a text editor and ensure that the uniqueID of the "ownerfolder" value matches the unique ID of the target folder in AGO.

Hope that helps!

0 Kudos
Richard_Purkis
Esri Contributor

Hi @MattLayman 

Thanks for reaching out

I would recommend the article Vinzafy linked above in the first instance but by the sounds of your testing this appears to be a data issue rather than an issue caused by the folder in ArcGIS Online not matching to the iteminfo file.

Does this issue occur for other data stored in your SDE? I would try and isolate what data it works for and go from there.

Hope this helps

0 Kudos
MattLayman
New Contributor II

I tried what the article Vinzafy suggested said to do, but that didn't work. The org ID, owner, and owner folder were not in the .itemInfo file, so I added them, but when I tried to publish, I got an error saying it couldn't create the folder in Portal (it had already been created from a previous failed publishing attempt). When I went to look at the .itemInfo file afterwards, the owner and owner folder info that I had added (as seen in the screenshot) were gone.

This error does not occur for other data stored in our SDE. Like I said in my original post, my new feature service points to exactly the same datasets as the other feature service that I've published, the only difference is the name of the feature service. The first form and feature service that I made work just fine. I have confirmed that the settings are the exact same between the two feature services. I plan on adding a few more feature classes and tables to this new feature service, but for now, I'm just trying to get something published so I can continue building out the new form.

0 Kudos
MattLayman
New Contributor II

I figured it out. I was specifying the REST endpoint for the service as the submission_url (link looks something like this: "...rest/services/Repair_and_Inspection_Report_Feature_Services/Repair_and_Inspection_Reports/FeatureServer", but when I switched to using the portal item link for the same service (looks something like this: "...portal/home/item.html?id=asdfjkl"), I was able to publish and collect data into the database as expected.