Bypassing REQUIRED fields in Survey123

01-22-2024 09:10 AM
KatieRassmussen
New Contributor

I am wondering if there is a pseudo way to bypass REQUIRED fields in Survey123? For example, we have datalogger values that we require the user to enter. However, on rare occasions, those values may not be available (if they do a quick site visit without opening the equipment shelter), or if a specific sensor is not working. Most times, folks will just enter something like "9999" to be able to submit the survey, but then we run into problems with manually removing those values after the fact before data is uploaded into WISKI. Are there any alternative possibilities? Is there anything like a check box that could be clicked if the values are not available that would still allow the survey to be submitted without any values? Thanks much!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

You can set them to be contingently visible, and that gets around it. So for example  you could have a question like, "Sesnor Functional?", and then have a drop-down yes/no value. The datalogger value question can them be set to only show up if Sensor Functional = Yes.

Or some other question, doesn't necessarily need to be that.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You can add formulas to the required column as well in Connect.  It has a yes drop down box but you can add any true/false statement there as well.  So you could have a question and then add that to the relevant of the value field.  Maybe something like a NA that is not on by default then if they select NA the required goes away on the field.  You could also use the question check in the relevant column.  That way the question just goes away entirely and then the required does not trigger.  This may be better because you will have users hit NA and enter a number then you may not know what they meant.

Hope that helps

0 Kudos
ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

That's a handy bit of information, I didn't know you could do that!

abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

Just echoing @DougBrowning's suggestion.

When you show a required field, then it should be assumed that the user can (and will) enter data into that field. Using a series of conditional statements prior to that required field to either conditionally show/hide the required field (i.e., using the relevant column), or remove the required component from that field entirely (i.e., use a logic statement in the required column) would be the ideal solution.

On the flip side, if users had a way to bypass a required field reliably, I'd be worried, and have that logged as a bug (if not done so already) as that could/would call into question data validity.