Barcode Scanning function is clunky now

Jump to solution
09-28-2018 09:47 AM
bobwright
Occasional Contributor

Has something changed with the barcode scanning function since last winter? We are using the same devices and the same barcode scanning app as last year, when it worked quite well. Now it has a narrower effective window (the red framing brackets) and will only capture the scan with the tablet held in landscape mode. It is clunky enough to be borderline unusable. The scanning app, QR Code Reader, is quite snappy in it's capture in either orientation.  The tablet we are using is a Samsung Tab S2 and the Survey123 version is 3.0.149. Thanks for any feedback.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Bob,

We have been making changes to the barcode reader, specifically to better handle PDF417 barcodes.  If PDF 417 is selected, it will display a narrower box.  One way to make processing quicker to select only those barcode formats you need to read.

View solution in original post

IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Update. As of version 3.18 you can now set the barcode format/s to scan and the performance/accuracy of barcode scanning has been greatly improved.

More info in this new help topic: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/desktop/create-surveys/barcodes.htm 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JamesTedrick

Hi Bob,

We have been making changes to the barcode reader, specifically to better handle PDF417 barcodes.  If PDF 417 is selected, it will display a narrower box.  One way to make processing quicker to select only those barcode formats you need to read.

bobwright
Occasional Contributor

Thanks James. That brought it back to what I remember from last year. Does my memory serve me correctly that an earlier version of Survey123 required that a barcode scanning app be installed?

Bob

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Bob,

I do not think an external barcode app was required previously (certainly not since we left beta in summer 2016).

0 Kudos
HilaryBrowning2
New Contributor II

Hi James, I know this is a late reply but can you point me the way to changing the barcode settings in Survey123? I am having a really hard time getting a tablet to scan my QR code, so if it would help to have the app "expect" them, I'd welcome that as a solution.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Hilary,

There isn't a way to set the default barcode type before the first scan. During the first scan, you can set which types of barcodes Survey123 should look for by pressing the menu button; that will be remembered.

0 Kudos
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Update. As of version 3.18 you can now set the barcode format/s to scan and the performance/accuracy of barcode scanning has been greatly improved.

More info in this new help topic: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/desktop/create-surveys/barcodes.htm 

0 Kudos