Heading option doesn't exist

02-26-2024 06:16 PM
Labels (2)
FredDeNisco
New Contributor

I am trying to connect my locations together in this story map and I believe headings would be the best way to achieve this, however I can not find how to create the headings.

I have created the story navigator, however I can not "link" from my headings because I can not create them. My chrome browser is up to date and I'm not sure what else to do.

This link says to highlight what I want to be the heading and choose heading but that option doesn't exist for me: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-storymaps/author-and-share/add-story-navigation.htm

Screenshot 2024-02-26 at 6.10.54 PM.png

This is a photo of me trying to highlight the text to click heading and no optionScreenshot 2024-02-26 at 6.08.10 PM.png

This is me trying to highlight other parts of the text to link a heading 

Screenshot 2024-02-26 at 6.08.22 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-02-26 at 6.08.32 PM.png

1 Reply
AbbyE_Esri
Esri Contributor

Hi @FredDeNisco ,

I believe the heading option is not appearing because the heading you are referring to is actually a title of a point in your map tour. They are similar but are not technically headings; if they were, it would cause complications in navigation. When turning on the navigation links in the story's design, for example, you would then have a navigation link at the top of your story for every map tour point!

A workaround for this if you really want the heading link, would be to use sidecars instead of map tours. You just wouldn't have those points on the map numbered automatically as they are in a map tour layout. However, you could still configure a map to jump from focusing on a different extents/points for each slide.

This idea of adding headings within map tours has also been requested by other Esri Community users. Please feel free to add a Kudo to this similar idea to the ArcGIS StoryMaps Ideas board if you want to see this enhancement to the product down the line!

0 Kudos