Filter layers in Story map

Jump to solution
05-07-2024 04:11 AM
WaltherLie
New Contributor II

I have two hosted layers, added to a map. Both layers are time-enabled. I am trying to create a story map, with the main map as a base in the main stage, without layers. Then I would like to use a story action to show the main map, with both layers, but only showing the points dated i.e. 12/24/2023. The next story action will be to only show the points dated 12/31/2023. 

If I filter the map at the stor action, that filter also affect the map elsewhere. The only solution I have found so far, is to create multiple maps with filter. However, it will be quite a lot of work, and I will end up with 30 different maps.

Is there any other way to do this?

I ony have access to AGOL.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AbbyE_Esri
Esri Contributor

Hi @WaltherLie ,

You are only able to filter those layers by time in ArcGIS Online, and not within the story and map actions itself. While duplicating that map and making different time maps for each of those copies could work in the story for a map action, you should know there is a limitation of layers recommended within a map. Having more than ten layers within a map, and introducing too many maps with a high number of layers, can cause loading issues. It may be a solution you want to try out with a few of the time stamps, and evaluate the performance of the story as you go to ensure your story can load as expected with a high level of data. Here's more on the recommendations for maps within a story: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-storymaps/get-started/faq.htm#anchor11

--Abby

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AbbyE_Esri
Esri Contributor

Hi @WaltherLie ,

You are only able to filter those layers by time in ArcGIS Online, and not within the story and map actions itself. While duplicating that map and making different time maps for each of those copies could work in the story for a map action, you should know there is a limitation of layers recommended within a map. Having more than ten layers within a map, and introducing too many maps with a high number of layers, can cause loading issues. It may be a solution you want to try out with a few of the time stamps, and evaluate the performance of the story as you go to ensure your story can load as expected with a high level of data. Here's more on the recommendations for maps within a story: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-storymaps/get-started/faq.htm#anchor11

--Abby

0 Kudos
WaltherLie
New Contributor II

Thank You! Than I haven't missed out any ways to do this. I currently worked a way around using screenshoots on those places where I cannot zoom in on location so the other poinst are not visible. 

0 Kudos