Line statistics does not have a sum option

03-06-2024 01:38 AM
Gunnar_Berglund_AV
New Contributor

I have a large dataset containing intersecting and overlapping lines, and would like to make a raster to sum a certain field in each line over the entire area of my dataset. Much like a density raster, but with a sum rather than density. The line statistics tool should be perfect for this task. Line statistics can generate all kinds of statistical measure, but not sum. I cannot figure out why, and can't find a workaround. I have tried to combine density, count and average and work my way back, but that won't work.

Any thoughts on why line statistics don't have this function, or a workaround?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

it does have 'length'

Line Statistics (Spatial Analyst)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

• Length—The total line length in the neighborhood will be calculated. If the value of the field is not 1, the lengths are multiplied by the item value before adding them together. This option can be used when the field parameter is set to None.

perhaps divide the length by the item value for each class if you need a count

... sort of retired...
Gunnar_Berglund_AV
New Contributor

Thanks for your answer. It doesn't work like that. There are different item values for each line, and when I calculate back, each meter of line are treated the same way. If i used your method on each line separately, and then summed the results, it would work.

0 Kudos