Width of a river and stream order

07-19-2022 01:01 PM
Labels (2)
NicolePatterson
New Contributor II

Hello, 

I am working on an internship this summer and am using 1/9 arc (~3m resolution) DEM files from NOAA in ArcGIS Pro. I am specifically working with Spatial Analyst Tools, the Hydrology Toolbox and the Stream Order Tool. 

For my project I need to identify the order of the rivers using the stream order tool, but I also need an efficient way to define the boundaries of the rivers ( i.e. defining what is water, what is land). My project I work with must have the very detailed and large data sets. 

If there is a way to add a polygon that represents all the rivers, that is helpful, but ideally the rivers would have the same stream ordering just be the same width as the rivers instead of a polyline. I have attached an image of the stream order tool within an example DEM to display the line, very width I am describing.

If you have any insight, please reach out!

5 Replies
WetlandMan
New Contributor III

If you're working within the US, You might be able to obtain river polygon data from the state's GIS website, Alternatively USGS should have polygon data for waterbodies. you can check the National Hydrography Dataset too to see if that has what you need.

NicolePatterson
New Contributor II

I am working in the US and only need US data, mainly on the coastlines. Unfortunately most of the waterbodies data online is not detailed enough to show the streams as detailed as the 1/9 arc/s DEMs. 

0 Kudos
kurdishbrwar
Occasional Contributor
Hello Miss Nicole, I am in my master’s research. I worked in hydrologic modeling of water valleys. It is possible to determine the levels of rivers, but for the purpose of determining what is water and what is land. I think a field visit is beneficial to the study area + determining the contour lines of the surface of the area contributes to determining the water campus of the waterways + and you have to know that Not necessarily all of them are permanent watercourses, they may be seasonal, and you know this, as you are from the study area only for clarification. Think about these points, and I think they will help you a little. Sincerely, your friend Sabah from Iraq.
NicolePatterson
New Contributor II

Thank you Sabah! I am working with a model that is meant for emergency response (no specific location and far away) and can calculate transport equations based on the hydrological conditions, I just need the boundaries for the code so that it can compute these equations. 

dpgerman
New Contributor

Not sure if you have access to Image Analyst, but you might get some benefit from the Deep Learning tool to extract some information from that. TIGER/Line Shapefile 2021 data is also good for downloading Hydrology at the nationwide scale, but this might not suit your needs.