Why does sharing as a Web Map need the basemaps from ArcGIS Pro

Jump to solution
03-14-2023 02:07 PM
Craig_Eissler_Iceman
Occasional Contributor III

Question: Why does sharing as a Web Map need the basemaps from ArcGIS Pro?

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Craig - technically the basemaps come from ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Enterprise.  Depends how you are signing into ArcGIS Pro.  If you go to the Map Viewer, all web maps start with a required basemap in WGS 1984 Web Mercator. Same for inserting a new map view in ArcGIS Pro, it adds a default basemap of your organization.  If you do not have a basemap when you share a web map from ArcGIS Pro, it throws a 00216:  Map does not contain a basemap error message.  Not exactly a "why" answer more of a "it's just the way it is" answer.  I'd be curious to hear from the others.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Craig - technically the basemaps come from ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Enterprise.  Depends how you are signing into ArcGIS Pro.  If you go to the Map Viewer, all web maps start with a required basemap in WGS 1984 Web Mercator. Same for inserting a new map view in ArcGIS Pro, it adds a default basemap of your organization.  If you do not have a basemap when you share a web map from ArcGIS Pro, it throws a 00216:  Map does not contain a basemap error message.  Not exactly a "why" answer more of a "it's just the way it is" answer.  I'd be curious to hear from the others.

0 Kudos
Craig_Eissler_Iceman
Occasional Contributor III

I think the link you provided to the Web Map Basemap Help page explained it -- thanks!

...It defined the spatial reference 

0 Kudos