Viewing Data Within a Connected Database

10-27-2022 06:34 AM
Labels (1)
PEMSjwilliams
New Contributor

I am currently running ArcGIS Pro 3.0 on a remote desktop. I am trying to connect and view an SQL database. When going into Connections > Database > New Database Connection, I selected SQL Server as the Database Platform and entered the data location string into the Instance box. The authentication type is "Operating system authentication", as there are no username/passwords on the database. I receive a pop-up error when trying to hit the drop-down button on the Database field. The error reads, "Connection Error. Unable to get database list. An unexpected fatal exception occurred within this application. Execution should be terminated".

To try a different way I followed the steps: Connections > Database > New OLE DB Connection, where I then selected "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server". I selected the correct server name, chose "Use Windows NT Integrated security" under information to log on to the server and selected the correct database on the server. The connection works and I can see the database. When I attempt to open any tables within the database, I am only able to see the fields and am unable to see any of the actual data.

I am stuck on what to do at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Has this worked in the past, connecting the SQL DB?

Have you updated ArcGIS Pro to 3.0 recently?

What is the version of SQL Server being used and is it a geodatabase?

What version of the ODBC driver are you using?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
PEMSjwilliams
New Contributor

Has this worked in the past, connecting the SQL DB? No, this is my first attempt.

Have you updated ArcGIS Pro to 3.0 recently? The version is current (ArcGIS Pro 3.0.2)

What is the version of SQL Server being used and is it a geodatabase? SQL Serve Version: 10.00.14393.5427; No, it is not a geodatabase.

What version of the ODBC driver are you using? Unsure if this is what you mean, but it's 64-bit.

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
ChrisUnderwood
Esri Contributor

That error message can be shown when connecting with an OS Authenticated account, where the username (ie domain\user) is 30 characters or more in length.

You could test using a Database Authenticated account and if that succeeds you know your Pro & Client etc are working fine.

0 Kudos