Trace Network Trace Returning Incorrect Results

Jump to solution
10-25-2023 09:31 AM
AlexVerville
New Contributor III

Hi,

I have a watercourse layer in a Trace Network and the Trace results are not making sense. I have a bunch of start points at the mouth of the rivers and when I do an upstream trace it selects every single feature in my watercourse layer, even features that are not connected. When I do a downstream trace, it traces upstream to some arbitrary point. 

The purpose of this task is to confirm that the flow direction of the watercourse is correct. Before creating the Trace Network, I used Flip Line (Editing Tool) to reverse the direction of a bunch of the lines. Now I want to use the Trace Network to make sure I didn't miss anything. All of the flow directions within the Trace Network are "With digitized".

If anyone can provide some insight on what is going on here, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AlexVerville
New Contributor III

I figured out what the problem was. I had a definition query on my start points and apparently the tool ignores that although it acknowledged the selection in the geoprocessing window. Trace Networks seem to be plagued by silly stuff like this.

AlexVerville_0-1698253066512.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AlexVerville
New Contributor III

I figured out what the problem was. I had a definition query on my start points and apparently the tool ignores that although it acknowledged the selection in the geoprocessing window. Trace Networks seem to be plagued by silly stuff like this.

AlexVerville_0-1698253066512.png

0 Kudos