The template value for the layer symbology attribute is incorrect.

Jump to solution
2 weeks ago
WDMParkPlanner
New Contributor III

I am working with a Feature Service Feature Class and I have been modifying its symbology to reflect unique values and then creating new features via the 'Create Features' pane. Typically, the create features pane shows options for me to create features for the unique values I have chosen via the symbology tab as such:

WDMParkPlanner_3-1715101182405.pngWDMParkPlanner_0-1715100645878.pngWDMParkPlanner_1-1715100684525.png

So, as you can see for the layer "snowsidewalks" I can create a new feature of either blue or red. Works great.

However, when I attempt to do this same thing for the layer "Sidewalks -Snow Removal", I do not get the two Blue and Red unique values which I have set:

WDMParkPlanner_4-1715101278759.png

Furthermore, I get this warning when I click the "Blue" to create the feature:

WDMParkPlanner_5-1715101335599.png

I click the blue arrow off to the right and I get this:

WDMParkPlanner_6-1715101391371.png

I then proceed to input "Blue" as the color in the purple highlighted field and all seems to be well again for the "Blue" Unique Value"...but where is Red?

WDMParkPlanner_7-1715101476668.png

For the Layer "Sidewalks -Snow Removal" Red has been designated a unique value just like blue and has plenty of features with that designation in the 'Color' field.

I'm at a loss.  Worth noting is that I am using ArcGIS Pro 3.0.5. and the "snowsidewalks" layer is a Shapefile Feature Class and the "Sidewalks -Snow Removal" is a web-hosted Feature Service Feature Class.

I would greatly appreciate any insight/advice as to how I can rectify this issue.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

@WDMParkPlanner it seems like you need to inspect your feature templates. The template named "Blue" doesn't have an attribute stored in the template for the "Color" field.

1. Edit tab > Mange Edits Group > Mange Templates
  2. Select the layer at the top of the pane
  3. Select the template at the bottom of the pane
  4. Click Properties
  5. Within the Template Properties, set your Color to blue.

Scott_Harris_0-1715103022040.png

It also sounds like you are missing a template for red. So create a new template within the Manage templates pane.

It also seems like you don't have 'Show all other values' checked within the symbology pane:

Scott_Harris_1-1715103081191.png

More info:

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/editing/configure-a-feature-template.htm#GUID-91E52002...

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/editing/create-a-feature-template.htm

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

@WDMParkPlanner it seems like you need to inspect your feature templates. The template named "Blue" doesn't have an attribute stored in the template for the "Color" field.

1. Edit tab > Mange Edits Group > Mange Templates
  2. Select the layer at the top of the pane
  3. Select the template at the bottom of the pane
  4. Click Properties
  5. Within the Template Properties, set your Color to blue.

Scott_Harris_0-1715103022040.png

It also sounds like you are missing a template for red. So create a new template within the Manage templates pane.

It also seems like you don't have 'Show all other values' checked within the symbology pane:

Scott_Harris_1-1715103081191.png

More info:

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/editing/configure-a-feature-template.htm#GUID-91E52002...

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/editing/create-a-feature-template.htm

0 Kudos
WDMParkPlanner
New Contributor III

Scott,

I am so grateful for your insight and reply. I am very eager to try and follow your methods. However, I have hit a snag quite early. I am struggling to find "Manage Templates" anywhere. I've even tried searching the "All commands" for customizing the ribbon and performing a top "Command Search". Any ideas on why I am not able to find that window? I bet it's right under my nose.

WDMParkPlanner_0-1715112153269.png

0 Kudos
WDMParkPlanner
New Contributor III

Thanks so much for your help! I just wonder why this happened and how I can prevent it...or should i expect i have to manually add the unique values like this every time? I feel like ive done this 100 times and the unique values have always shown up when creating features...

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

@WDMParkPlanner My best guess is you applied your symbology before you had existing "red" features - explaining the corresponding missing "red" feature template. Feature Templates should be autogenerated when you change symbology unless they have been authored by you beforehand. If you find a pattern that doesn't make sense, let us know. Esri Support is a good starting point as well.

Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

@WDMParkPlanner In older releases of Pro it's available from the launcher and using this button at the top right of the Create Features pane:

Scott_Harris_0-1715112436738.png

or

Scott_Harris_1-1715112466631.png