Symbology error: Polygon outline is being displayed as a blob

Jump to solution
02-13-2023 04:24 AM
Anirban_Banerjee
New Contributor II

Version: 2.7

Recently, one of my juniors faced this issue. Whenever she was adding a polygon feature layer, it was displayed as a blob. I was baffled.

I made the filling hollow and turned the outline width really down to 0.7 Pt. The error remained. When I did not use any color for the boundary but for the filling, the polygon was correctly displayed. I wanted to reproject but I did not as it was all good with the filled shape. 

I checked the shapefile with ArcMap and G-Earth (+ QGIS). The layer was properly shown. Is it a bug with 2.7?

Solution? 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anirban_Banerjee
New Contributor II

I did all these rudimentary things out of reflex. Restarting the instances, the PC, etc.

clearing the local Esri cache from the AppData folder helped.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

It does not look like you have applied your symbology after changing it. This button at the bottom:

AdrianWelsh_0-1676316728841.png

Is it possible for you to share this shapefile here on this forum so others can test it?

0 Kudos
Anirban_Banerjee
New Contributor II

That's too basic to miss. Isn't so? 🙂

(The feature layer's link )

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Thanks for sharing that. I would have a hard time believing that this is a bug specifically in 2.7. It displayed correctly for me (I'm using 3.0.3). I would suggest closing all Pro instances and opening one and trying again. If it still persists, I would suggest restarting your PC and trying again. But it at least works for ArcMap and other versions. Just have to get to the bottom of it through much troubleshooting. I know that restarting a PC can be tedious and annoying but lately I have found weird 'memory' issues in Pro that restarting has resolved.

0 Kudos
Anirban_Banerjee
New Contributor II

I did all these rudimentary things out of reflex. Restarting the instances, the PC, etc.

clearing the local Esri cache from the AppData folder helped.