Select to view content in your preferred language

Summarize string attributes with the largest area contained within a polygon?

04-01-2022 01:56 PM
Labels (1)
LynnO
by
New Contributor

Hi ESRI Community,

I am trying to write string attributes from various polygon layers to a parcel (polygon) dataset.

What is the best way to have the dominant attribute contained within a given parcel written to the parcel dataset? (for example, if there are 3 polygons of different categories that fall inside a parcel, assign the category of the one that takes up the largest % of the parcel).

i.e., if dissolving merged datasets, don’t return first or last text attribute but the one that comprises the majority of that parcel’s area?

This would be automated (ideally using model builder, but could use scripting if necessary) over a large area so manual solutions won’t be feasible.

Apologies if I did not explain that very well, let me know if clarification is needed. Simple or complicated solutions are welcome if they get the job done.

Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You could start with 

Tabulate Intersection (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Then summarize by maximum on your key field(s(

... sort of retired...
MZ23
by
New Contributor

Is it possible to do this summarize by maximum as grouped by a different field in the tabulate intersection table? Namely an ID field to join back the selected max value to your original table.

Or alternatively, is there a way to accomplish this using a SQL query in ArcGIS Pro (3.0.2)  to SELECT MAX( ... with a GROUP BY subquery on the tabulate intersection output (ideally saved in file gdb but potentially in another file format)?

Appreciate any advice

0 Kudos