Selecting maximum values of a field, by group

2 weeks ago
Labels (1)
YusefSamari
Occasional Contributor

Hi. I am using ArcGIS Pro 3.1.3. I have a table with columns for species, the month each species is most frequently recorded in, and the number of grid squares each species has been recorded from. I have sorted it ascending by month, then descending by grid squares. I want to select the top 5 species by number of grid squares recorded from, for each month (or less if that month has less than 5 species). For example, I would like to go from:

SpeciesMonthSquares
A120
B120
C119
D118
E116
F110
G19
H240
I232
J228
K217
L210
M29
N320
O319

To

SpeciesMonthSquares
A120
B120
C119
D118
E116
H240
I232
J228
K217
L210
N320
O319

Can anyone please help with this? I think the solution should be something similar to what is discussed in this thread - https://community.esri.com/t5/geodatabase-questions/select-maximum-values-in-select-by-attributes/m-... - but I haven't been able to adapt the SQL queries there to my needs. Also not sure what to do in the case of tied values...

Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

I suspect there are several ways to resolve this and some clever SQL. But this is how I would do it.

• Firstly the table needs to be a file geodatabase table so you can add a new field. So If your data is in Excel then you need to export it.
  • Add a new field, call it keep and set it to SHORT.
  • The following logic takes advantage of the fact you have pre-sorted the data. Open field Calculate tool and apply the following to keep field.

DuncanHornby_0-1714752343677.png

The code block is:

count = 0
last = 0
def tag(month):
    global count,last
    if last == 0:
        # First row
        last = month
        count = 1
        keep = 1
    elif (month == last) and (count < 5):
        keep = 1
        count += 1
    elif (month == last) and (count >= 5):
        keep = 0
        count += 1
    elif (month != last):
        keep = 1
        count = 1
        last = month
    return keep
  • Now run a simple select by attribute to select rows where keep = 1
  • Export selection to a new table.
0 Kudos
YusefSamari
Occasional Contributor

Many thanks for this. I will try it out later and report back. I ran out of time last week because I needed to move forward on this so I just used the 'brute force' option in model builder of selecting each month, sorting by squares field, selecting 'OBJECTID <= 5' then merging them.

0 Kudos
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

@YusefSamari What kind of geodatabase is the data stored in?

Can you attach sample Excel data (or whatever works, such as a zipped file geodarabase or zipped mobile geodatabase) to this post?

0 Kudos
YusefSamari
Occasional Contributor

The data is in a File Geodatabase. Sample data is exactly like the sample data above - the 'Species' column is a text field, the other two are long integer.

0 Kudos
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

If you're having trouble with the SQL, I would suggest copying the data to a geodatabase type that supports SQL clients, such as a mobile or file geodatabase: https://community.esri.com/t5/geodatabase-questions/select-maximum-values-in-select-by-attributes/m-...

You might ultimately find that file geodatabase SQL is too buggy/problematic.

0 Kudos