Select to view content in your preferred language

Selecting graphic elements in layout

Jump to solution
4 weeks ago
MaciekB
New Contributor III

Hi,

I am using ArcGIS "Pro" 2.8.8 and recently have been having a lot of trouble working with graphic elements in the layout.

I have a legend made up of graphic elements and when I go to the Layout tab in the elements group and select the 'Select' tool (with the default select by rectangle option active) and go to select an element it will either do nothing, or select an element nowhere near to where I clicked, and will persistently select that particular element regardless of where I click. If I draw a box around an element it will select a whole bunch of other elements unrelated to the one I wanted to select. The Polygon, Lasso, and Circle selection options also do the same thing. Only the Line selection option works as it should, selecting just the elements the line crosses through, but it's not a very good way of selecting elements. 

Has anybody else had this issue and is there a way to stop it from happening? It is very frustrating spending hours trying to edit and arrange some simple elements in the layout which in ArcMap would take minutes. We are expected to move away from ArcMap and into Pro, but Pro is buggy, clunky and not user friendly.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MaciekB
New Contributor III

I am unable to upgrade to 3.3 as I am at the mercy of the GIS administrator so need to wait until it is rolled out.

However the administrator showed me how to reset the user.config file, equivalent of ArcMap's MXT file, and that fixed the problem...for now anyway.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

The first thing I would suggest is to install the latest version of ArcGIS Pro 3.3 (April 2024) to see if this resolves this issue.  ArcGIS Pro 2.8.8 came out November 1, 2022 and ArcGIS Pro 2.8.0 came out May 2021.  There have been A LOT of improvements, upgrades, new functionality since 2021.  Are you able to upgrade?

Second thing I would recommend is a soft reset of ArcGIS Pro to restore the application to "factory settings" - you can learn how to do this here.

0 Kudos
MaciekB
New Contributor III

I am unable to upgrade to 3.3 as I am at the mercy of the GIS administrator so need to wait until it is rolled out.

However the administrator showed me how to reset the user.config file, equivalent of ArcMap's MXT file, and that fixed the problem...for now anyway.