"Failed to load data" error when sorting attribute table

02-10-2018 01:12 PM
KathyKaufman
New Contributor III

Each time I try to sort an attribute table by right-clicking the field name in the header row and selecting Sort from the context menu, the table closes and I see this error message: "Failed to load data. Error - An invalid SQL statement was used." In this case I'm just sorting a the attribute table of a small shapefile. Any advice?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Your installation seems to be having issues, given that you have posted several times on seemingly unrelated topics.

Can you elaborate on what you have installed and whether it is an installation on a local machine.

If your issues are with all the data you use, then you need to begin with trying to reset your application profile, or more likely, doing a 'repair' on your installation by going to your operating system level, selecting an Install/Remove, then when given the option select Repair. 

If there are issues with your installation, then sometimes a repair will fix it.

Provide as much detail as you can regarding where the data located when you access it.  Always try to troubleshoot with simple featureclasses in a geodatabase stored locally.  Hopefully you have some data that hasn't given you issues before.

KathyKaufman
New Contributor III

​Dan, I installed ArcGIS Pro 2.2.1 (basic license) on my standalone Win 10

laptop about a week ago. I then installed the available update. I have very

little experience with mapping so I'm just using publicly available

shapefiles and Census data to get up to speed. And yep, I've done almost

nothing.

I suppose I can remove the program, re-download, and reinstall it. As a

brand-new user, I have no idea if this bugginess is typical. Really hope

not!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

So the software is new and the data should be reasonably good.

The question becomes when the issues began to occur.  I would try the 'repair' I mentioned, but perhaps an uninstall, a new download and a re-install might work. But do a 'reset application profile' as well to be on the safe side.

If that doesn't work, we might have to delve into the setup in your Project section.

Just make sure that you are working with locally stored data (ie no network, no usb drives etc)

0 Kudos
KathyKaufman
New Contributor III

All of my data and files are stored locally on my hard drive. I originally used a shapefile I had placed on AGOL, but reverted almost immediately to the local version. 

Is there any chance this is a memory or storage issue? I have about 240 GB free on my hard drive and 16 GB of memory.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Since you are working with "publicly available shapefiles and Census data to get up to speed," how about attaching the shape file?  I do agree with Dan's suggestion to run a repair, but it will also be helpful to have others on GeoNet eliminate the data as the source of the problem (or maybe identify it is the data).

0 Kudos
KathyKaufman
New Contributor III

Thanks for the suggestions. Since I've had so many issues and still don't quite understand the software, I've decided to postpone trying to address this for the moment. When I've gotten a little further along, if this error is still getting in my way I plan to circle back. 

0 Kudos
MapsInRaleigh
New Contributor II

I am bringing this back to say this same thing happened to me today! We couldn't find any information online about what could cause the error. I wanted to post here to share with anyone else that encounters the error. We basically determined that either Pro or the dataset had become corrupted in some way.

Our situation is different from OP in a way, because we are using a regularly edited, fully created from scratch dataset.  We were using a point shapefile with around 250 assets and were trying to sort alphabetically in the attribute table when we got the exact error mentioned. "Failed to load data. Error - An invalid SQL statement was used."

We edit this dataset probably once a week at least, but we have not had any other issues up to this point. Other files in the map are able to be sorted just fine and restarting Pro did not resolve the issue. We also were not actively editing the dataset when this error occurred. So this is what lead us to believe the dataset was the issue. Our next troubleshooting step would have been to try another computer, but at this point we just exported the data to a new shapefile. When we opened it, the issue was resolved, so we did not troubleshoot any further.

0 Kudos