Select to view content in your preferred language

Pro: Why are labels, legends, and text elements exporting upside down?

12-20-2018 04:24 PM
JKidd
by
New Contributor II

I have seen this in Pro 2.2.2 and 2.2.4 on Windows 7. Create a project with a legend and/or a text element and/or feature labels and share as a pdf. The legend and/or text element and/or labels are flipped upside down and shifted to the top left corner of the pdf. I've seen this on two different computers and with several different projects. Some projects are fairly complex with 2 or more map frames, dozens of layers, multiple elements, lots of label properties, and a large format layout. But once it was a very simple project with one map frame, just 3 or 4 layers, a legend, one text element, and a 8.5 x 11 layout.

I also tried arcpy layout.exportToPDF with a variety of parameters with no luck.

I've gotten it to export correctly by removing the legend or the text elements or a layer or two. I've also gotten it to to work by exporting a jpg instead of pdf. But I need the pdf with all my stuff.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Thanks.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Can you share a screenshot of the layout in ArcGIS Pro and one of the resulting PDF to see what is happening?

Kory Kramer‌ have you seen this behavior?

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Xander Bakker‌ I haven't see or heard of this.  John Kidd‌ can you share a project package of the simplest reproducible case?  You can email directly to me at kkramer@esri.com and we'll take a look at it to see if we can figure out what is happening.

JKidd
by
New Contributor II

I just attached a screen shot of the project and an example pdf with the legend and title text element upside down. Kory, I'll see if I can email a project package to you. Thanks.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

I just opened the PDF, but the title and legend are not upside down. At least this is what I am seeing when I open the PDF:

Are you sure the attached the right PDF (the one that has texts upside down)?

JKidd
by
New Contributor II

After attaching the pdf, I clicked on it just to make sure it attached and the legend and title looked fine. So I went back and opened the same pdf on my computer and they were upside down again. My default pdf viewer is Acrobat 8 Professional. So I tired opening it in Adobe Reader and it looked fine. So there's something weird going on with how Adobe 8 Professional displays pdfs exported from Pro.

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Ha, I was just going to reply because I see the same thing.  Looks good in a browser and looks good in Reader:

I don't have Adobe 8 Professional.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JKidd
by
New Contributor II

Well, I feel dumb now having posted this question but attaching the pdf to the post and then viewing it in a my browser solved the riddle. I'm changing my default pdf viewer right now. Thanks for your help.

JKidd
by
New Contributor II

And if you want to see what it looks like upside down in Adobe 8 Professional, see Capture2.jpg.

0 Kudos