Select to view content in your preferred language

Looking for tips and experience on creating map templates in Pro

10-20-2023 08:58 AM
BMCGIS
by
New Contributor II

I'm looking for the best way to set up Pro map templates for use by coworkers who have some GIS skills, but are not everyday GIS users.

Currently, we use .mxd files that are set as read-only on our server, and this method works well. The user opens the .mxd, the user can add or subtract map layers from our enterprise SDE geodatabase or from their own project-specific files, and then the user can save the map to another location on the server.

The project-based setup of Pro presents some challenges to creating a similar process.

From testing out different methods, it seems that either of these methods are the best options:

• Create a Project Template (.aptx) that users can unpack and save to their own location

Screenshot 2023-10-20 115111.png

• Create a Layout File (.mapx) that users can import into a Pro project started in their own location

Screenshot 2023-10-20 115132.png

Can anyone share thoughts on the pros and cons of using these options in practice?

I am also worried about cases where a user wants to re-name their project or move it to a different server location. Anyone have tips or experience to share on this?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jmaxwell_braun
New Contributor III

Templates include style files, geoprocessing tools, and other things in addition to the layouts and maps. Layout files only include the layout and map, no 'extras'. That can be a big downside if you want to use a consistent style file. For that reason, we usually use template files.

One approach is to make a very basic template solely for the purpose of including those 'extras' (no layouts or maps), then have layout files that are imported for each project. That way you still get the style files and other extras, but don't have to have a bunch of different templates to maintain. We have run into confusion before because we have template files containing layouts and separate layout files. If updates are needed, you have to remember to update the template files AND the layout files.

As for your second question, creating a new project using a template file will ask where to create the project. As long as the user tells it the right place you should be good. I don't know of any way to prevent someone from renaming or moving a project after it's created.

BMCGIS
by
New Contributor II

@jmaxwell_braun  Thanks, I appreciate your thoughts and the idea of having a template with just the extras without layouts or maps. That's an option to consider, but you make a good point about the potential for confusion as well.

To clarify, I would actually like users to be able to move or rename their project. Sometimes projects change in scope and the mapping folders should be renamed or moved. Or sometimes you need to do some preliminary mapping, but don't actually know where it will end up on the server. However, it seems the new project folder setup will make this kind of moving and renaming difficult. Would love to hear any ideas or suggestions for handling this.

0 Kudos
jmaxwell_braun
New Contributor III

@BMCGIS we run into this issue on a regular basis too. The best we have come up with is to cut and paste (move) the whole GIS project folder to the new location, then rename the folder, aprx, and file geodatabase. It's a pain, but it works.

Sometimes, we also want to copy an aprx while still using the original file geodatabase. It seems that if you copy and paste the aprx alone from one folder to another, it will create a new file GDB in the new folder. However, if you open the aprx and choose "save as" to a new folder, it will not create a new file GDB.