Layout ruler resolution

Jump to solution
08-08-2022 05:45 PM
CaitlinBernier1
New Contributor II

Is there a way to set the interval of the rulers like you could in ArcMap?  In ArcGIS Pro, the further zoomed in, the more tic marks on the rulers which may seem better, but it is difficult to see. In ArcMap, there was a setting for the interval of the rulers. If more intervals were needed, the setting could be changed.  In Pro, there does not appear such a setting.  The use case is this: in the legend of a map, there are descriptions of variable length.  Between descriptions, there should be a consistent gap.  In ArcMap, the rulers could be set to 0.1 inches and the guides were easy to see and set consistently.  In Pro, the additional dozens of tick marks make it difficult to make the guides a consistent gap.  If there is no way to do this, please consider it for a future release.  

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Caitlin, 

I believe there is an enhancement request for this - ENH-000114737 Add a functionality to set the ruler divisions and units in a Layout in ArcGIS Pro.

Tom

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
BarryNorthey
Occasional Contributor III

You can set Guides without using the Rulers using Add Guides (right click on any Ruler). Not sure what you are doing with the Legend but you can set the spacing of elements in the Legend element in the Legend pane under Legend Arrangement Options tab --> Spacing

BarryNorthey_0-1660006927441.png

0 Kudos
CaitlinBernier1
New Contributor II

Thanks for your note.  The legend is in a geologic map with lengthy rock descriptions that are entered manually so legend tools are not in play for this particular use case.  I may in the future try to use Arcade to automate the geo legend, but for now, just having the ability to set the interval on the rulers would solve everything.  

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Caitlin, 

I believe there is an enhancement request for this - ENH-000114737 Add a functionality to set the ruler divisions and units in a Layout in ArcGIS Pro.

Tom

0 Kudos
CaitlinBernier1
New Contributor II

Thank you. I tried searching but I guess I missed that.  Thanks for letting me know.

ErikBreedon
New Contributor III

Is there a way to find ENH-000114737 and other enhancement requests?

0 Kudos
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

You should be able to find it through esri support (https://support.esri.com/en) and searching on the number. I tried this and did not get a result (you may have as well). 

@KoryKramer - ENH-000114737 is a valid number and one I can find through internal esri systems, but cannot find through the Support search.  Can you help?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Currently enhancement requests are not published to the support site, but I know that is a project for the future. For now, you either need to call tech support to be added as a "+1" to the ENH, or, you could submit an idea in the ArcGIS Pro idea exchange, and cite that you're looking for this functionality, and that it is already logged as ENH-000114737. Then we can link the ENH and Idea up on the backend and keep the community apprised of status updates through the idea.  cc @AmeliaBradshaw 

0 Kudos
Aaron_King
New Contributor III

This is critical functionality that needs to be implemented if it is not yet available. Wasting time carefully mousing to get elements located in consistent locations is not acceptable.

TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Aaron, 

Thanks for the feedback. I'll pass your comment to the team.  

You ight not be aware of it, but "mousing" to locate an element is not the only option. You can also set the placement of the element through the Element pane (right-click the element and choose Properties from the context menu).

Screenshot.PNG

Though this isn't as efficient as "mousing" it does offer a level of precision that would be hard to replicate manually with a mouse.

Hopefully this workaround helps.

Tom

0 Kudos