Select to view content in your preferred language

Layer Turns Screen Blank When Dragged to Elevation Surface>Ground

4 weeks ago
Labels (2)
JulianRomano-Moloney
New Contributor II

I'm recreating a diorama step by step from a Youtube video.

My problem is as following: I copy and paste and layer (Extract by Mask) and drop one copy to the Elevation Surface>Ground layer. It makes everything go blank. If I turn on additional layers, there is a blank (white) space where the layers should be. The strange thing is my first time doing this project, there was no issue. I had to recreate the project from scratch due to a completely unrelated program. But when I tried this again, it only became a roadblock. I updated Pro, recreated the project under different names, and restarted my computer. I even bought a new laptop (I had to anyway). Same issue....just blank space...

Here is the link to the video: How to Make this 3D Diorama of the Straits of Mackinac (youtube.com) At 3:48 is when the process in question begins.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

sounds like an insufficient hardware issue.  what is your hardware and are you on your SSD or via  a network.  

0 Kudos
JulianRomano-Moloney
New Contributor II

It's a new Dell laptop and I'm using an internet network.

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 7730U with Radeon Graphics 2.00 GHz

Installed RAM: 16.0 GB (15.3 GB usable)

System type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

the integrated graphics chip set is very likely the cause cause of your issue.  Typically found in laptops.

Honestly these are more intended for things like email and social media and office software like word or excel

You can try clearing your browser history and set up cache for your gis

0 Kudos
JulianRomano-Moloney
New Contributor II
the integrated graphics chip set is very likely the cause cause of your issue. Typically found in laptops.

Honestly these are more intended for things like email and social media and office software like word or excel

You can try clearing your browser history and set up cache for your gis

I cleared my browser history. I don't know what setting up a cache means. But I changed the cache settings on the layer in question in Properties. I selected Don't Cache Any Data Locally. However, dragging that layer down to ground level doesn't fix the problem.

Is there anything I can do to offset the integrated graphics chip set? I know this is a new laptop and I still have just under 14 days to return it. But I would have to wipe it, return it, buy a desktop (per suggestion that laptops have a chip not ideal for GIS), and this set that new computer up.

This is getting tedious but I have no choice. I'm a new GIS graduate who is looking for a job. I don't feel I can get one unless I start adding better map on my portfolio...
0 Kudos
JulianRomano-Moloney
New Contributor II

I did come across this link in the ESRI Community to "Verify your computer's ability to run ArcGIS Pro: https://links.esri.com/run-arcgis-pro-33x.

My new laptop passes. But there are three (!) instead of a check would be. Perhaps this gives a better indication of the issue? I attached a PDF of the results.

0 Kudos