Labeling reverting despite updating

12-04-2023 01:26 PM
Labels (2)
OrrinFeril
New Contributor

ArcGIS Pro 3.2.0

Label class is changing randomly from "horizontal in polygon" to "curved in polygon". Despite multiple times changing this and saving the project, this will randomly change revert to curved. This creates unusable labels in some of these polygons. 

This issue appears to be random and difficult to replicate on demand.

<< Edit: It appears to happen when calculating the geometry after creating a feature. >>

Has anyone else had this happen to them?   

Any help or guidance would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RobertCollins
Esri Contributor

Hi, 

I had a quick test of this workflow (ArcGIS Pro 3.2.0) but unfortunately didn't experience the same functionality as yourself.

I have a couple of follow-on questions / ideas to consider to work out the cause of the issue:

• Were labels "locked" at all prior to the tool being run? (Labeling basics—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation)
  • Do you experience the same behaviour when using a different placement option (e.g. straight in polygon)
  • Do you experience the same behaviour when labelling using different attributes? Is it the attribute being calculated also the attribute being used for labelling?
  • Where is the polygon layer stored? Is this in a local file geodatabase, enterprise geodatabase or online in a hosted feature layer (AGOL or Portal)?
  • I don't suppose you have a second polygon layer, or could test whether the same functionality is demonstrated from a Living Atlas layer?

Hopefully one of these questions helps with understanding more of how the layer is being labelled. 

0 Kudos
OrrinFeril
New Contributor

I'm replying to each of your questions/ideas below:

• Were labels "locked" at all prior to the tool being run? (Labeling basics—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation)
    • No, the labels are not locked.
  • Do you experience the same behaviour when using a different placement option (e.g. straight in polygon)
    • Yes, if I select straight in polygon, after calculating the geometry, the placement reverts to curved in polygon.
  • Do you experience the same behaviour when labelling using different attributes? Is it the attribute being calculated also the attribute being used for labelling?
    • If I use a different attribute in the label, it still reverts to curved in polygon.
    • The attribute being calculated is not one of the attributes being labeled.
  • Where is the polygon layer stored? Is this in a local file geodatabase, enterprise geodatabase or online in a hosted feature layer (AGOL or Portal)?
    • This polygon layer is stored across a network connection on a local desktop computer (simply used as file storage).
    • This is a local file geodatabase with several feature classes.
  • I don't suppose you have a second polygon layer, or could test whether the same functionality is demonstrated from a Living Atlas layer?
    • I created another simple polygon layer to test. After calculating the geometry of the first feature, the labeling reverted to curved in polygon.
    • I do not have any Living Atlas Layers. 
0 Kudos
RobertCollins
Esri Contributor

Hi again,

Thanks for taking the time to review the questions. 

I thought one of those would help understand what could be causing the issue. It could potentially be related to the data coming from a feature class in a local file geodatabase but you will probably need to confirm this with a member of Esri Technical Support. 

I would raise a support case as it might be possible to send across a copy of the data to a member of the Esri Technical Support team to investigate. 

In the meantime, I'd try adding a layer from the Living Atlas and seeing if the same issue presents itself.

Apologies I couldn't work out the direct cause despite the answers to those questions. 

0 Kudos