Keeping Scale Bar Size Consistent Across Map Series Pages

Jump to solution
03-05-2024 02:27 PM
Labels (1)
Beth_Newhart1
New Contributor II

I am creating a Map Series within ArcGIS Pro 2.9.10. I would like to keep the size of the scale bar consistent across pages. I am fine with the scale values changing as the pages are at different scale, I would just like the scale bar to not resize on each page. Below is an example of how the scale bar resizes from one page to the next:

Page 1: 

Beth_Newhart1_2-1709677203159.png

Page 1 has my ideal scale bar size/placement

And here is Page 2:

Beth_Newhart1_3-1709677264292.png

On Page 2, the scale bar extends past the extent of the layout which is of course not ideal. For reference, page 1 is at a scale of 1:1000 and page 2 is at a scale of 1:9000. I used the fitting strategy of "Adjust Number of Divisions" for this example. I have also tried "Adjust Division Scale Value" but that fitting strategy had similar results. Any ideas on how to fix this issue? TIA. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MErikReedAugusta
Occasional Contributor III

That is extremely odd.

The width shouldn't change, unless you've selected "Adjust Width" from that drop-down shown above.

This seems like a bug.  Can you reproduce it in a fresh document?  What version are you on?  (I'm on 3.1.3)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MErikReedAugusta

That's odd.  "Adjust division value" should be exactly what you need:

MErikReedAugusta_0-1709677884571.png

I just popped open a Map Series document I have with constantly-shifting scales, and my scale bar is solid as a rock across them, even though the numbers are constantly changing.

The only thing I can think is that maybe you changed that setting after the Map Series was generated?  Try refreshing your Map Series on the Map Frames tab of the Insert Ribbon:

MErikReedAugusta_1-1709677997307.png

0 Kudos
Beth_Newhart1
New Contributor II

The result of Adjust Division Value for me is not awful, but the scale bars are not uniform in size from page to page: 

Page 4:

Beth_Newhart1_0-1709679280783.png

Page 5: 

Beth_Newhart1_1-1709679318981.png

I am wondering if there's another setting I need to toggle somewhere or if I'm just missing something.

0 Kudos
MErikReedAugusta

That is extremely odd.

The width shouldn't change, unless you've selected "Adjust Width" from that drop-down shown above.

This seems like a bug.  Can you reproduce it in a fresh document?  What version are you on?  (I'm on 3.1.3)

0 Kudos
Beth_Newhart1
New Contributor II

I imported my layout into a fresh project and that fixed the issue! I am on version 2.9.10. Thanks for your help!

MErikReedAugusta

I always blame those on cosmic ray bitflips (you should google this, if you've never heard of it).  It's functionally the same as saying "A wizard did it!", but theoretically sorta backed by science.

Glad to hear you got it sorted!

0 Kudos