installing ArcGIS Pro on a 2TB external drive

04-02-2020 01:48 PM
SpiccioliCaroline_M_
New Contributor

I have a mac currently running ArcGIS Pro through a virtual desktop with my university. However, I would like to try downloading and installing it on  2TB external drive. How would I go about this? What are the steps?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

ArcGIS Pro 2.5 system requirements—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

check the link on that page

Check your computer's ability to run ArcGIS Pro 2.5.

Before you waste any time because I suspect the computing demand for standalone won't be the same as for your virtual situation.

Then there are the prerequisites.

Run ArcGIS Pro on a Mac—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

0 Kudos
SpiccioliCaroline_M_
New Contributor

So I actually don't need to run the software on my mac I just want to know how to install the software (or download something I could later install on a PC) to my external drive. The external is called SP Silicon Power Armor by the way. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Ahhh, If you have a university account

ArcGIS Desktop licensing—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

You can download the *.exe file... don't run it from your download site... save it to a usb/thumb drive, and you can install it on your pc at home.

Of course the pc would also need to run the specification test to make sure it is good.  As for an external drive...keep it to save data, my personal preference though

0 Kudos
SpiccioliCaroline_M_
New Contributor

I have a PC at home but don't have access to it at school, all I have with me is the Macbook air. After I leave the university I likely wont be able to download the software anymore so I wanted to do it now with the external so I could install it on the pc when I have access to it again. To clarify: I could use the mac to download everything onto the 2TB that I need to later install ArcGIS pro onto the PC? I've never really used this external drive before and apparently it stores everything in zip files so is that still okay? 

Thanks for the hep!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

download the *.exe file to the external... just don't install it on it was my suggestion

The *.exe file contains a *.msi and a *.cab file.  copy the *.exe file to your local PC, then double-click on it it will ask yoiu where you want to extract the files... do that, then when the files are extracted to a folder, double-click on the *.msi file to begin the installation process.

I install in a separate folder

c:\arcgis_pro

is a pretty obvious place and not in c:\Program files\blah blah  or words in the c:\Users\don't_install me here\

0 Kudos