Indexing in an ArcPro Project

02-20-2019 06:29 AM
AmyGwin2
New Contributor III

Hello GIS geniuses. I have a question for you because I am completely baffled at how to setup indexing in ArcPro. Either I am doing it wrong... or it isn't working.

Here is where I am getting my instructions: Indexing project items—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

I have about 20 Pro projects with many maps and layouts, from 5 - 30 in each. 

I have included two images. One is of the 'error'. The other image is of my project backstage ('Options') settings. I feel this has been set up correctly since October. Yet each time I try and search I am told 'Indexing is in progress. Please try again later'. 

I will say that I haven't ever left any project open for extended periods of time. Certainly not to wait for the results of a search.

Help?

And thank you.

26 Replies
JeffLegato1
Occasional Contributor

Reporting that this is still an issue at 3.0.2. I went to search for something that I knew existed somewhere and got no results despite the software reporting a 50mb index.

D_AnneHammond
New Contributor III
I concur, still can't search Catalog in ArcPro 3.0.2, highly annoying.

JeremyDavies
New Contributor III

After years of needing to use ArcCatalog alongside Pro to index and search for spatial data on my machine, indexing is now working for me in v3.0.3. Yay! Hopefully updating to 3.0.3 was the ticket and indexing starts working for for others as well.

JeffLegato1
Occasional Contributor

I just upgraded to 3.0.3. It's creating an index and, more importantly, I was able to get some preliminary search results. It was working for some time in the older version before it stopped so I'm cautiously optimistic. Fingers crossed!

0 Kudos
JeffLegato1
Occasional Contributor

I wanted to give an update that yes, it seems like the indexing and search is working in 3.0.3 (at least for now haha!).  It's dependent on what you have selected in the contents pane within the project tree in catalog view.  If you have Folders selected, it will search Folders. If you have Layouts selected it only search Layouts. I'm not sure, but it seemed to really get better as I tried searching more areas. At first I selected Databases in the Contents and ran a few searches there. Next, I selected a folder and searched there. It initially didn't find anything but after letting it sit all day I returned and ran some more searches and low and behold, it found stuff!  So maybe it just needs a little prodding at first. I sure hope it holds up. 

0 Kudos
D_AnneHammond
New Contributor III

Ok, I tried it a few more times in Pro 3.0.2 and I'm not getting the dreaded 'Indexing in progress, try again later'.  Cheers!

JeremyDavies
New Contributor III

D_AnneHammond-- It didn't start working for me until I updated to 3.0.3, and so far so good. Hopefully updating Pro will work for you too!