Select to view content in your preferred language

Geological 3D model

11-30-2023 04:10 AM
RobertoGSYS
New Contributor

Hello,

I have a problem creating a geological 3D model with the Extrude Between Tool. I have a raster for each geological structure with just one band representing the elevation value from the bottom. So, with the Extrude Between Tool, I'm trying to extrude each polygon stratum (obtained from raster) between the two consecutive Tins (converted from raster).

The difficulty is that not all geological formation have the same horizontal extent, so I'm not obtaining a correct output. 

Has anyone faced the same problem and solved it? Or do you have any suggestions?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Extrude Between (3D Analyst)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Only the portion of input features that overlap the XY extent of both TINs will be represented in the output.

Is this what you are experiencing?

There are several other conditions that can cause errors in the link if you haven't seen them.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
RobertoGSYS
New Contributor

Hi Dan, thanks for reply.

Yes, it's a kind of.

I also used the Elevation Void Fill raster function to get a matching extrusion coverage.

But there are still some discrepancies.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If it isn't the coincident boundaries issue, you might have to include a screen grab to show the issue

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
RobertoGSYS
New Contributor

Sorry for the late update, I was stuck on voxels's creation for the same project.

For the Extrude Between workflow so far, I've managed to extrude the different formations between the upper and bottom Tin for each, but I'm not satisfied with the visualization: the different formations look like a "terracing"!

So, as you can see from the attached picture, there is an interruption in terms of how the extruded layers are displayed. 

The expected outcome would be for the formation to be displayed by its highest value without the extrusion limiting its volume (defined by the lowest value of the formation above it).

((Note that into the screenshot, the enlighted circle shows that the volume seems to stand out rightly!))

0 Kudos