General request on Apple Silicon Chip (M1/M2) Performance

10-27-2022 02:57 AM
mkuttnernpns
New Contributor II

Dear Community,
As I´m currently considering to buy a new apple machine for work, but being strongly depending on good performance of AGPro, I am not quite sure if a new M1 max / M2 mbp where I´d run Win11 ((ARM) mobile version) would meet my requirements (and reports / threads on this topic are still extremely rare).
I´m the GIS manager of one of Austria´s National Parks and my daily tasks and duties are almost all related to GIS. Our administration is entirely run on Apple Machines (and hence macOS) since day one. Currently I´m forced to work on various machines, where an extra Win-laptop had to be acquired (which I honestly hate from the bottom of my heart because it is heavy, noisy and ugly to say the least ) just for Desktop GIS. As part of National Parks Austria Organisation we currently own Enterprise licenses where all WebGIS related services are centralized and run by SQL- and ArcGIS server architecture. Regarding desktop GIS, I´m running AGPro 3.x (native on the aforementioned win-machine) while all Portal/WebGIS and Mobile GIS related tasks (e.g. field app creation & management, WebApps etc...) are conducted on my current macbook pro (intel based). Now coming to my main question (and sorry for the rather long intro):
Does anyone have experience in working on a M1-mbp for daily AGPro routines? Did you stumble across any other major issues apart from Regression analysis where the underlying program code seemingly relies on x64 architecture which (currently) would not work on Apple silicon chips. For this very special case / task I´ve found a forum thread but the information given on the topic in general is rather scarse..
I personally do a lot of remote sensing related stuff (i.e. landcover classification amongst other) and other 2D/ 3D raster analysis,  but Vector GIS as well. Further, did someone out there gain experience in ArcGIS Reports / Map series and other cartography tools on M1 chips?  -- I´m a bit scared of lacking drivers in the Win-mobile environment when it comes to data exporting / printing?
Are - to your knowledge - any other known issues on running AGPro in the mobile-win env. (via virt. machine because bootcamp is no longer avail. to my knowledge)? And finally, how´s the M1 chip performance in general?
As currently both, my 6 year old mbp as well as my crappy ArcGIS win-machine (i7, 32GB, 4GB external graphics - but performing rather poor in general, especially since I updated to AGPro 3) are going to be replaced in the upcoming months, I´m really considering an all-in-one solution for the future, provided that Apples Silicon chip architecture would fullfill all of my key desktop GIS tasks.
Sorry again for my extensive message, but maybe somebody could provide (in this case very relevant) infos on this topic for me.
Thanking you very much in advance and best regards from Austria, Michael

0 Kudos
1 Reply
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Please be sure to read  Run ArcGIS Pro on a Mac which states "Mac systems configured with Apple Silicon (Mx), or non-Intel processors, are not compatible until Microsoft Windows OS environments are supported on Apple processors."

KoryKramer_0-1666874129302.png

So if you are looking to buy a new Mac and one of the requirements is to run ArcGIS Pro, it shouldn't have the M1/M2 chip.

0 Kudos