Font and Character used in symbology?

Jump to solution
03-20-2024 06:45 AM
LyonMNGIS
Occasional Contributor II

Hello,

How can we determine what font and unicode character is used in an existing point symbol within ArcGIS Pro?  This can be done in ArcMAP by selecting a symbol and opening up the "Edit Symbol" dialog.  Unfortunately I did not see any equivalent in ArcGIS Pro.

*** Note this question is for configuring point symbols and not a label.  The symbology had also been created in ArcGIS Online***

The symbology editor in ArcMAP exposes the font and Unicode used in a point symbol.

LyonMNGIS_0-1710941653736.png

The symbology editor in ArcGIS Pro will allow us to set a NEW font character to a point symbol.  However, I don't know how to find the existing font and character that is already used in an existing font based symbol.

LyonMNGIS_2-1710941838814.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

So I tested the workflow where I had a skier symbol from the ESRI US Forestry 1 font (*.ttf).  Saved the *.aprx, exited Pro, started Pro, and loaded the *.aprx just to clear out anything.  I selected the symbol in the Contents Pane, this opened the Symbology Pane.  Clicked the Properties tab and the Layers tab.  Then I clicked Font...and in the Choose a character pane, it listed the unicode for the skier as 44.  So it "seems" ArcGIS Pro does mirror the ArcMap workflow where it goes right to the symbol and that font.  Or am I missing a step here?

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MErikReedAugusta
Occasional Contributor III

I'm not at my desk this week, so I can't remember: Does Pro not jump automatically to that symbol when you hit Font, in your second screenshot?

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

You're almost there!  Say for an existing symbol that I wish to change via Font/Unicode, I clicked on Font like you highlighted, for the Font dropdown selected US Forestry 1.  When you click on a symbol it will provide you te Unicode value or you can type in a unicode value and then the cursor "jumps" to that symbol.  See below:
ChooseCharacter.JPG

0 Kudos
MErikReedAugusta
Occasional Contributor III

I think the issue is more about how to identify an existing symbol without knowing what it is ahead of time.  In ArcMap, when you open the settings it goes right to that symbol and that font.  There's no guessing.

Based on your response (again, I'm out of the office this week and can't verify), I think Pro dumps you more generically in.  If memory serves, I think it dumps you into the last font you used, rather than the font where the selected symbol comes from, yes?

Even if you're working with just the onboard ESRI fonts, that's dozens of fonts to check, each containing multiple dozens of symbols, sometimes hidden behind different subsets.  It can be tedious to go spelunking for a specific symbol if you don't already know what it is.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

So I tested the workflow where I had a skier symbol from the ESRI US Forestry 1 font (*.ttf).  Saved the *.aprx, exited Pro, started Pro, and loaded the *.aprx just to clear out anything.  I selected the symbol in the Contents Pane, this opened the Symbology Pane.  Clicked the Properties tab and the Layers tab.  Then I clicked Font...and in the Choose a character pane, it listed the unicode for the skier as 44.  So it "seems" ArcGIS Pro does mirror the ArcMap workflow where it goes right to the symbol and that font.  Or am I missing a step here?