Explode Parts bug creating vertex errors

09-01-2022 06:33 PM
Labels (1)
ClintonMcComb1
New Contributor II

ArcGIS Pro 2.9. When using the Explode tool with Parts selected to explode a specified multi-part polygon from the rest, there are times where certain polygons end up with unintended modified vertices that changes the shape of the polygon. In the example below I am trying to explode the large selected polygon but once exploded, the boundary is corrupted. In the case below, there is a large "spike" in one of the vertices where there is overlap within the inset polygon but then a gap where it crosses over the original polygon. When a polygon gets in this state, no matter how many times I undo and then re-explode, the same exact thing happens. I don't know what the pattern is but this is definitely a bug.

ClintonMcComb1_0-1662081542228.png

After exploding. Note "spike" in polygonAfter exploding. Note "spike" in polygon

IncorrectPolygon3.PNGClose up of "spike" showing hole and overlappingClose up of "spike" showing hole and overlapping

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

@ClintonMcComb1 I'm not sure how to re-create that geometry. Looks like a donut polygon with a filled hole that became a multipart polygon (somehow). Does it pass Check Geometry (prior to the Explode)?

Checking and repairing geometries - https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/checking-and-repairing-geome...

Do you know how it was created?

Does it contain curves? Beziers?

Esri Technical Support can help answer these questions, and report a bug if necessary: https://support.esri.com/en/contact-tech-support

Thanks,
Scott

0 Kudos
ClintonMcComb1
New Contributor II

Hi Scott, 

The general sequence for how these polygons were created is below. I believe this is how the error can be replicated:

1) start with overall large polygon (property boundary)

2) use the Split tool to carve out polygons from the initial overall boundary (timber stands)

3) again use the Split tool to cut out a "donut" polygon, further splits from polygons in step 2 

4) Merge multipart polygons together, including the donut polygons

5) use the Explode by Parts tool to explode just one of the donut polygons

No deletions occur  (so not true donuts, per se) and topology is valid for no gaps or overlaps within the original step 1 polygon shape.

There are no curves or beziers. Possibly these were created using streaming but typically just point and click to add vertices.

Thanks,

Clinton

Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

@ClintonMcComb1 Sorry for the delay. We've tried to replicate the scenario you describe, but haven't seen the strange geometry output. If you can, please share a dataset that reproduces with Esri Technical Support.

0 Kudos