Error Adding Fields to Layers from a Geodatabase

07-19-2019 11:28 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've been working in ArcGIS Pro 2.3.3, and I've attempted to add a new field to several layers in a geodatabse- I'll call it gdb X.

From the attribute, I click "Add", and I'm able to type in the new field's name, alias, and type as normal. When I click save up on the ribbon to complete the field addition, I get the following error:

I've been reading other threads and troubleshooting, and here is what I have learned so far:

• I am able to add a field to layers from gdb X without issue in ArcMap 10.7
  • I am able to add fields to layers from a different geodatabse (gdb Y) in ArcPro
  • I opened a completely new Project, connected to gdb X, and got the same error
  • Compared read/write settings for the folders in which gdb X and gdb Y reside- they appear to be the same, as do the security settings
  • As a workaround, I used the Add Field data management tool, which does successfully add a field to layers in gdb X, so adding a field with the Add button should theoretically work.

The context here is that I'm writing a lab for students, and it would be great if they could add fields the simple way rather than having to do a workaround using the tool.

Any thoughts/insights here would be greatly appreciated!

Byron

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

1) What version is the GDB you are trying to add fields.  Is it possibly an older version.

2) Have you tried to create a copy of the GDB either just using Catalog, selecting the GDB and clicking Copy or using the Copy Tool in ArcGIS Desktop or Pro

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Lance-

1. I took a look and it's a "9.2" Geodatabase according to ArcCatalog.

2. I made a copy of the gdb in ArcGIS Pro, but ran into the same error when trying to add fields to layers within it.

3. I tried upgrading the gdb through ArcCatalog but got an error message saying "failed to execute".

Any other ideas?

0 Kudos
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

Byron,

1) Create a new blank fGDB using the version you are working with.

2) Try and import the feature class from the older database to the new.  This can be completed via drag and drop in Catalog or by right clicking the fGDB and selecting Import > Feature Class (Single or Multiple) as needed

3) Test on that version

If that does not work, try and export the feature class(es) from the older GDB as a shapefile(s) and see if you can import those files into you new fGDB

Version 9.2 fGDB was last supported in Desktop 10.2.x. 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Lance- creating a new blank gdb and importing the data from the old gdb into it solved the issue.

Much appreciated!

0 Kudos
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

I am glad that worked out.  My first thought was the database is an older version which can be temperamental on newer systems.  Sometimes they work fine other times you cannot even open them.  I still have an older 10.0 version of ArcGIS running on a VM so I can sometimes upgrade the DB or export to shapefiles before working with them.  

If the above answer was acceptable, can you please mark it as correct.  Thanks.

0 Kudos