Distributing APRX files in ArcGIS Pro or equal to MXDs in Desktop

Jump to solution
04-14-2023 07:38 AM
Labels (2)
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

At the end of this month, we are fully migrating to ArcGIS Pro 3.1 from Desktop 10.x.  For ArcGIS Desktop 10.x, we had created about 30 MXDs that are saved on a read-only network share.  Users can quickly select a needed MXD to load onto their system in ArcGIS and render the needed information.  The MXDs can be accessed directly from the share or from a handful of shortcuts that are saved to the user's desktop.  They can also save the MXD locally and make personal modifications as they deem necessary for their own use.  Furthermore, our GIS team can make changes to the MXDs on the read-only share as changes are needed and users receive these updates the next time they open the MXD or the link to the MXD.

We have not been able to find a similar means to disseminate this information in ArcGIS Pro.  We did a test using APRX files but this resulted in other files being created on the user's system including GDBs, ATBX, etc. for each APRX opened.  We also tried using MAPX files but with some of our larger maps, it can take some time to import all the feature classes and dataset layers when opening the MAPX file.  The same using LYRX files but even slower.

Any suggestions and does anyone know the recommended method to complete something similar in ArcGIS Pro?  

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

The most similar thing to an MXD I know of in Pro is the .mapx file.https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/sharing/overview/save-a-map-file.htm

edit - didn't read your entire post where you mantion mapx.  

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

I would look into the Save As workflow as it creates a new *.aprx without all the accompanying files/folders.  Rather the new *.aprx references the original project folder.  I believe this is what you're looking to do.

LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks, @Robert_LeClair

That is what we attempted; however, when you open the APRX file on another system or open a shortcut to the APRX file ArcGIS Pro creates the APRX, GDB and ATBX files in the folder (or desktop) where the APRX was opened.

For example, I clicked on the Wards.aprx - shortcut saved on my desktop and ArcGIS Pro created the additional files.

LanceCole_0-1681485722687.png

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Thanks @LanceCole - so here's what I did.  I have an ArcGIS Pro project saved in a file folder on disk.  In ArcGIS Pro, I did a SAVE PROJECT AS and create a new *.aprx in my C:\Temp directory.  In the C:\Temp directory I selected the newly written *.aprx, right-click, Create Shortcut, copy and pasted to my Desktop and did not get the other folders as you have in your graphic.  Now if it's the original *.aprx and doing the previously written workflow, then I do get what you see.  Can you test this workflow and see if you get similar or different?  Thx!

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

The most similar thing to an MXD I know of in Pro is the .mapx file.https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/sharing/overview/save-a-map-file.htm

edit - didn't read your entire post where you mantion mapx.  

LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

@DavidPike, Thanks.

Yes, it looks like the MAPX is the best option.  Just slow to load when there are a lot of feature classes.

0 Kudos
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

Chiming in a year late, which probably isn't too helpful, but can you use project templates for this workflow? Or use web maps in your portal? Sorry, never mind about the template suggestion. I overlooked this in your post: We did a test using APRX files but this resulted in other files being created on the user's system including GDBs, ATBX, etc. for each APRX opened.

0 Kudos