Create point feature using distance and bearing from known point

Jump to solution
08-09-2023 03:10 PM
Labels (1)
BrentGrossman
New Contributor III

I found https://support.esri.com/en-us/knowledge-base/how-to-create-points-with-specific-distances-and-beari... pertaining to ArcMap. I want to do what's described there in ArcGIS Pro, but I'm not sure it's possible. I measured (in the real world, using a tape measure and compass) a distance and bearing from a control point in an existing feature layer and now want to create a feature at the point defined by those bearing and distance measurements.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

That same tool is available in Pro.  Just click the start point, then right click and select Direction/Distance.

R_

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

There are a number of equivalents, this is one

Create lines—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
BrentGrossman
New Contributor III

Thanks, Dan, though I don't want to create a line. I want a new point that's a measured distance and in a measured direction from a known point.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Although you could convert the line to points... which would be a bit of an extra step for sure

Feature To Point (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

There has to be an easier way

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

That same tool is available in Pro.  Just click the start point, then right click and select Direction/Distance.

R_

BrentGrossman
New Contributor III

Thanks, Rhett--that seems like the right tool. Weirdly, I had to hit Enter to save the point, not F2 or the Finish button, as the instructions indicated, but it seems to work.

0 Kudos
MaxRingler1
New Contributor III

Is there any possibility to also do this in Field Maps - *not* from a GPS location but from a freely chosrn/snapped reference point (two points for 2 bearings or 2 distances)? I see this rather as a typical field tool, measuring bearings and distance on the spot, not somethings to do on the desktop later.

0 Kudos