Create point feature at specific route measure

Jump to solution
08-13-2023 01:29 AM
ChaimSchwartzIroads
New Contributor III

This seems like such a basic task, but I can't find a simple straight forward way to accomplish it:

We have a route enabled (m values enabled)  "ROADS" feature class. We routinely need to update an associated "MILESTONES" layer, by placing milestones (point features) at specific route intervals (every 1 KM, based on measurements, not distance). There's a few ways of accomplishing this, the main one being:

(1) Creating new records in a separate table, with the required "FromKM" "ToKM" fields.

(2) Runnig the "make route" tool.

(3) Adding the outcome to the final MILESTONES feature class. 

But there has to be a better way...isn't there? Specifically, a way of doing it without requiring to move data between separate layers. I'm aware of the  "Add Point Event Tool  (that comes with the linear referencing license) but that tool doesn't create a point feature, rather a point event. 

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@ChaimSchwartzIroads Interesting use case. The workflow is best handled through Linear Referencing (simple functions - included in ArcGIS Pro) and Roads and Highways  (advanced functions - additional extension license). My suggested workflows are as below.

ArcGIS Pro Linear Referencing

1. Roads are modelled as Routes with the Start/End locations as Calibration Points or simply update measures on the vertices.
  2. Create a simple table with the FromKM/ToKM values with desired increments of 1, 10 etc. Use the table to then generate the milestone point layer  modelled as Route Events
  3. Export milestone as a feature class.
  4. Create a model or script if this is a often repeated process. 

Roads and Highways

1. Roads are modelled as Route or LRS Network with the Start/End locations as Calibration Points.
  2. Create a LRS Event Feature Class for MILESTONES having FromKM/ToKM fields with desired increments of 1, 10 etc. In this case you do not have to move data from separate layers. Moreover, the MILESTONES can be updated using geoprocessing tools when changes are made to the Road network geometry or measures. 
Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri

View solution in original post

5 Replies
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@ChaimSchwartzIroads Interesting use case. The workflow is best handled through Linear Referencing (simple functions - included in ArcGIS Pro) and Roads and Highways  (advanced functions - additional extension license). My suggested workflows are as below.

ArcGIS Pro Linear Referencing

1. Roads are modelled as Routes with the Start/End locations as Calibration Points or simply update measures on the vertices.
  2. Create a simple table with the FromKM/ToKM values with desired increments of 1, 10 etc. Use the table to then generate the milestone point layer  modelled as Route Events
  3. Export milestone as a feature class.
  4. Create a model or script if this is a often repeated process. 

Roads and Highways

1. Roads are modelled as Route or LRS Network with the Start/End locations as Calibration Points.
  2. Create a LRS Event Feature Class for MILESTONES having FromKM/ToKM fields with desired increments of 1, 10 etc. In this case you do not have to move data from separate layers. Moreover, the MILESTONES can be updated using geoprocessing tools when changes are made to the Road network geometry or measures. 
ChaimSchwartzIroads
New Contributor III

Thank you @AyanPalit .

Your answer confirms what we've found for the scenario in which we don't have a Roads and Highways extension, I was hoping there was a simpler way. You are right regarding the Roads and Highways scenario: in that case we could handle the milestones as a route event layer. The reason we currently need it to be managed as a feature class is because we wouldn't want the milestones to "move" automatically every time a road is updated - they have to keep their original location, which I know is a behavior that can be configured with Road and Highways. 

Thank you. 

0 Kudos
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@ChaimSchwartzIroads  Roads and Highways does offer 'Stay Put' behavior, that allows to retain the original location. If you are a Road and Highways user, I would recommend modelling MILESTONES as an LRS Event; the pros outweigh the cons. Alternately you can model a Milestone network(separate from the Roads) as well and in this case the Event will be referenced off this network. 

0 Kudos
ChaimSchwartzIroads
New Contributor III

I’m curious, what are the cons you were referring to, in regards to managing the milestones as a LRS event layer?

0 Kudos
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

Depends on data conditions / business workflows.  Road and Highways offers advanced linear referencing for enterprise organizations.  An additional extension license could be a concern for some if this is the only use case to be supported.