Classifying symbology on Living Atlas Sentinel 2 layer fails to apply

Jump to solution
11-15-2022 07:29 PM
Labels (2)
Hope-Hauptman
Occasional Contributor

I added individual years 2017-2021 from the living atlas Sentinel-2 10m Land Use/Land Cover Time Series directly from the content pane. If you double-click on the layer it opens up all 5 years and you can then add 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021 individually to a map.

Once there I cannot change the layer's symbology from the black and white 1-11 color scale to indicate the 11 distinct land-use classes. I have tried applying symbology from layer (I found a layer with the category names) which changes the category names but then no colors appear on the map. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

I think I have a better solution - add the Sentinel-2 Land Use/Land Cover five times in your Map View.  For each layer, go into Layer Properties to Definition Query and create a new query unique to the year.  For example Year = 2018 for one layer and Year = 2017 for another layer.  Rename the layers for the respective years.  Now you have LULC for each year without worrying about importing symbology from those other layers you listed!
DefQuery_Sentinel2.JPGSentinel-2_LULC.JPG

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

One thing to try is run the Apply Symbology from Layer GP tool.  The input layer is your 2017 or 2018 or... layer.  The Symbology Layer is the Sentinel-2 10 m Land Use/Land Cover Time Series.  The Symbology Fields parameter is blank.  The Update Symbology Ranges by Data is "Maintain ranges."  Click Run.  The color symbology will be applied to the year in question.

0 Kudos
Hope-Hauptman
Occasional Contributor

Hi Robert, Thank you for your reply. I tried that and the same thing happened as before. The symbology appears to change in the contents pane but does not show up on the actual map. I'll attach screenshot. 

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

I think I have a better solution - add the Sentinel-2 Land Use/Land Cover five times in your Map View.  For each layer, go into Layer Properties to Definition Query and create a new query unique to the year.  For example Year = 2018 for one layer and Year = 2017 for another layer.  Rename the layers for the respective years.  Now you have LULC for each year without worrying about importing symbology from those other layers you listed!
DefQuery_Sentinel2.JPGSentinel-2_LULC.JPG

0 Kudos
Hope-Hauptman
Occasional Contributor

Yes! A brilliant solution - thank you.