ArcGIS Pro Rename Annotation Class

11-28-2022 07:35 AM
Labels (1)
Caitlin
New Contributor III

Hi all, 

I'm having an issue with my annotation classes, I have multiple classes in one layer, so that I can turn on/off specific classes depending on my needs. The problem I'm running into is that I'm unable to rename the classes permanently. I used append annotation feature classes to fix a different issue, but now the class names are all extra long (ex. RoadsAMSAnno2_Sideroads) instead of the original name (ex. Sideroads). The anno is not feature linked.

I know that I can change the name in the contents page, but does anyone know how to change the names permanently so that when I pull the layer into a new map I don't have to change the names again?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Caitlin - if I'm understanding the question correctly, you'd like the layer name in the Contents Pane to be simplified when added to a map view.  If this is correct, what you can do is open the properties of the layer in the Contents Pane and in the Source Tab, located the Alias Field.  Rename the Alias filed to Sideroads for example.  Then when you add it to a new map view, ArcGIS Pro uses the Alias vs the Name.

Caitlin
New Contributor III

This works for the layer name, the issue I'm having is related to the class names. I've attached a screenshot to show what I mean. The Road_Anno_2 layer is what the class names appear as when newly pulled into a map, the Road_Anno layer is what I would like them to say (although I'll remove the test classes later). There is no option in the class properties that I can see, I've attached a second screenshot to show the properties for an individual class.

Caitlin_0-1669653582304.png

Caitlin_1-1669653620169.png

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Thank you for the explanation - that makes sense now.  So from what I've learned with annotation classes is they use a Subtype.  To rename the Subtypes, select the annotation layer in your Map View, click the Data tab, followed by Subtypes in the Data Design group.  On the Subtypes tab, click the Create/Manage in the Subtypes group.  In the Manage Subtypes pane, for the Description, change the name to whatever name you want.  When complete, click Save in the Changes group on the Subtypes tab.  This "should" remember for all new map views.  Let me know if this works (or does not work) for you.

0 Kudos
Caitlin
New Contributor III

This does rename the classes in the attribute table, but it doesn't appear to change the names in the content pane.

Caitlin_0-1669655771087.png

Caitlin_1-1669655825130.png

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

My anno workflow is a bit different than yours as I'm using a fGDB vs. an eGDB.  But I did make a database connection from ArcGIS Pro and copy/pasted the annotation feaure class from the fGDB to the eGDB and the result was not having the database.owner.table syntax that you're seeing.  See the image below.

anno_classes.JPG

0 Kudos
Caitlin
New Contributor III

Hmm, I wonder if it's my version, I'm working with ArcGIS Pro 2.8.8, so that might have something to do with it. I'll try moving it to a different database to see if that changes anything.

Thanks for all the help btw! I appreciate you taking the time to try to solve this.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Perhaps.  I'm using ArcGIS Pro 3.0.2 and upgraded my annotation feature class to a 3.x environment.  In addition, I'm using a PostgreSQL 12 geodatabase.  

More than happy to assist!  Let me know what you learn with moving to a different database.

0 Kudos
Caitlin
New Contributor III

I'm still running into the same issue, renaming the classes in the subtypes doesn't change the name in the contents pane. I tried moving the layer to a different database and I also had a colleague who uses 3.0.2 try the process. I'm going to try creating an entirely new annotation layer to see if I'm able to change the names there. 

If you have any other ideas, please let me know.

alex_friant
Occasional Contributor II

I couldn't figure a way out (using a FGDB to store annotation) to rename an annotation class either. Like you, if I renamed the subtypes the annotation class name stayed the same in the Annotation Feature Class Properties. I resorted to creating a new annotation class with the same properties and naming it how I liked. Then I had to select all the annotations using that class, change their Annotation Class ID using the Attributes pane, and change their Symbol class to match under the Annotation tab in Attributes.

Seems like any label class, we should be able to simply rename the Annotation Class using the Feature Class Properties pane for the Annotation FC.

0 Kudos