ArcGIS Pro APRX Opens on One Computer but not Another

2 weeks ago
Labels (1)
DylanHinton
New Contributor II

Hi, I'm working with the latest version of ArcGIS Pro (3.2.2). A work colleague is having an issue opening a couple of his projects (aprx) on his computer. The project will give an error message (Failed to Open Project) if opened in Pro, or will open up blank if directly accessed via File Explorer. The two projects that are unable to load are located on a shared network drive. I have access to this drive on my computer and I can open both projects with no issues. We are both using the same version of Pro and our computers are both the same as well, with the same settings. I was wondering if anyone else has dealt with a similar issue? 

10 Replies
Ed_
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

Does your colleague have full access to the drive where the project is?

Also if the project is open on your end and if your colleague opens it at the same time then the project will open on his end but will show as [Read Only]

Question | Analyze | Visualize
0 Kudos
BobBooth1
Esri Contributor

Might be worth looking at the data paths. Do they point to a drive letter or a UNC path?

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/projects/what-is-a-project.htm#:~:text=add%20item%20co...

0 Kudos
DylanHinton
New Contributor II

Hi Ed and Bob, thanks for the responses. The projects have only been opened one at a time. Only he has been working out of them. I opened them only to test if it would work. Also, the file paths are directed to the network drive letter that they are stored on, and he should have full access to it. I know other maps he has used in the past are stored on there, but no problems until now

Ed_
MVP Regular Contributor

Is he able to open other projects on that drive?

0 Kudos
DylanHinton
New Contributor II

Yep he seems to be able to open other projects. I thought maybe the projects  that aren't working are corrupted but apparently he just created them last week so I don't think that's the reason

0 Kudos
Ed_
MVP Regular Contributor

Are you opening the project from Pro or from File Explorer?

0 Kudos
DylanHinton
New Contributor II

I remoted into his computer earlier and it gave me a new error which roughly was the following: "Unable to Open Project-the Project has moved to a new location." Before it stated it was just "Unable to Open Project." The project is still located in the same file path though. I tried opening it from File Explorer and it opens up blank. It still opens up fine in my computer using the original file path. He did build a new project recreating some basic layers from the broken project using “data from path” though.

0 Kudos
Ed_
MVP Regular Contributor

Might be worth opening up a ticket with ESRI.

0 Kudos
DylanHinton
New Contributor II

Hi Ed, since he has a workaround for this problem, we're just going to leave it be for now. If it happens again then we probably will put in a ticket. Thanks for your help and input!

0 Kudos