Arc Pro Slow to delete feature class

11-25-2022 02:03 AM
RebeccaWatson1
New Contributor III

I'm using ArcPro 3.0.2, signed in to my AGOL account. I have a geodatabase on my computer that I am accessing via the Catalog window, the GDB has 9 feature classes in it. When I try to delete one of these FC from the GDB it is taking just shy of 2 minutes to complete the process. The feature class is not big, 186 points with 4 attributes. Pro has always been slow but this is worse than usual. Any suggestions to speed up the process?

Tags (2)
19 Replies
ChristiHallman
New Contributor II

I can't offer a solution but wanted you to know you are not alone! I am also experiencing looooooon delete processing times. Trying to delete 29 rasters from from gdb taking 30 min plus...  

RebeccaWatson1
New Contributor III

Thanks 🙂 It's good to know it's not just me. The slowness does seem to be associated with the catalog aspects of Pro - adding feature classes, deleting them, creating gdb etc. Not sure if anyone from ESRI is looking into a fix for this but maybe starting with that might help.

OliverScheidegger
New Contributor II

ArcGIS 3.0.3 and I just experienced 2min delay in deleting one 2MB geodatabase

JenniferEvershed1
New Contributor

I have the same problem. Basic Catalog functions like creating new empty feature classes (even with no additional attributes), deleting relatively small layers and even renaming a feature class takes sooo much longer than it did in ArcMap.  I find myself sitting here watching the wheel spinning thinking 'what are you thinking about', it drives me crackers! Have been trying to keep my file paths shorter as I understand that can slow things down but it doesn't seem to make much difference. I'm using 3.0.1.  If I could fix one thing in Pro (and there are a few on my list) it would be this!

JoeNicholas
New Contributor

Pro 3.1.2

Same/similar problem. Deleting or renaming (anything) in catalog is prohibitively slow. ArcCatalog 10.8.2 does the same functions almost instantly. 

I want to like Pro... but I don't trust it. 

MatthewGeorge
Occasional Contributor II

I'm in the same boat! Rename is hit and miss but Delete is horrendously slow every time! I'm trying to migrate users to Pro from ArcMap/Catalog and they aren't happy about basic things like this.

I've also tried to do this programmatically for Feature Classes in memory, FGDBs, and EGDBs and in every case it takes a ridiculous amount of time to do.

We're running Pro v3.1.1.

RebeccaWatson1
New Contributor III

Just to add to this, there doesn't seem to be any improvement. I'm now using 3.1.2 and I'm currently at seven minutes for ArcPro creating a new empty File Geodatabase in a folder ... make that eight.... nine... done. Now to rename it 🙄 😩

MatthewGeorge
Occasional Contributor II

I actually created a separate thread about creating a new FGDB taking forever as well. Definitely just another ridiculous issue with Catalog via Pro.

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-questions/fix-create-file-geodatabase-in-arcgis-pro-v3-x/m-...

NickSwartz
New Contributor II

deleting an empty table.......  same thing pro 3.2

0 Kudos