Align Features - Parcel Fabric

06-01-2022 01:18 PM
JerryHuey1
New Contributor II

ArcGIS Pro 2.9

I am experiencing a problem with the 'Align Features' tool on the parcel fabric. Whenever I tried to use the tool, it gives me the error "Align features failed. Layer is not editable. Review errors in the Status dialog or in List by Editing view of Contents pane" or "No feature geometry can be aligned using this method".  I looked through the list and the layers I am trying to edit is marked as editable and the alignment method is kept the same with other layers that the tool worked on. I don not have any problems editing the parcel fabric with the other tools (Merge, Divide, Clip, etc). The 'Align Features' tool works on layers not in the parcel fabric. I can't find any reason why the error message would change between the two errors listed. What could be causing the problem?

7 Replies
CathyAppleton
New Contributor III

Hi Jerry,

Did you ever get an answer/help on this?    We are having the same issue.   Very sporadic, not consistent.    Worked one day and now it isn't.  Everything visible, selectable, editable.   Things we are experiencing are having the issue where it will not allow us to use the option of Create alignment path from selected features.  When we use the Draw the alignment path we either get the error message you stated or it aligns, but not to what we traced. 

0 Kudos
JerryHuey1
New Contributor II

I didn't get any answers to this, but I was able to figure out a few things. 

For my problem, I didn't have ALL of the parcel fabric layers set to editable. I had a few of the layers to not editable because I didn't want those adjusted by the tool. After setting every layer in the parcel fabric as editable, I had less error messages.

This also applies to regular layers. Any feature that is within the area of being aligned needs to be editable. 

For any errors after setting everything to editable, I still have no idea. Reopening the map project file makes it work sometimes. 

0 Kudos
CathyAppleton
New Contributor III

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for letting me know.   Unfortunately for us that didn't work.   I have tried it with everything on, selectable, editable, etc.   I have tried is so many ways, multiple versions, edits, etc.   I was really hoping someone else would know more about this issue.   I guess I will have to open a ticket with ESRI support.    

0 Kudos
BerndtNording
New Contributor III

I've found another issue with the align features tool: My parcels documents use two different spatial references in meters as well as feet and thus I have to switch my map between all these. Obviously the features in the parcel fabric are all in the spatial reference, but if my map is not set to fabric's spatial reference then align features doesn't work.

0 Kudos
RobertChaney
Occasional Contributor

Under the Quality tab, try setting the topology to No Topology when running the Align Features tool. 

0 Kudos
-_Ashley-B-Potter_-
New Contributor III

Thanks Robert!

0 Kudos
MitchellDrennan
New Contributor III

Same problem here. Tried all the suggestions in this post and can't get Align Features to work. Keep getting the same error message.

0 Kudos