Symbology in plots and diagrams

11-21-2023 06:36 AM
Labels (1)
PeterHedin
New Contributor II

I think it would be great if the symbols in the scatterplots and other diagrams would be the same as the symbology used in the map view. Currently it appears symbology in plots and diagrams only inherit the color from the symbology used in the map, but the shape of symbols are lost. 

I am working with samples for determining physical properties (e.g. density, magnetic properties etc.) of bedrock material that vary in both composition and formation process. We typically symbolize samples in the maps with both color and shape to visualize these differences. For example, circles could denote plutonic/magmatic rocks, triangles for volcanic rocks, squares for sedimentary rocks and so on. The color is set in accordance with composition, such that for example felsic rocks (e.g. granite, pegmatite, rhyolite, etc.) have a different color from intermediate (e.g. diorite, andesite, etc.) or mafic rocks (e.g. gabbro, basalt, diabase, etc.). Thus for example granite and gabbro would both be circles but have different colors, whereas gabbro and basalt would have the same color but different shapes. There can be quite a large number of different bedrock types included in a survey and symbolizing the samples in this way is important for example when creating figures for presentations and reports that should be easily interpreted. 

When I create a scatter plots of for example density versus magnetic susceptibility, the samples currently appear as symbols with the same colors as the symbology used in the map, but they are all circles, i.e. the shape of the symbols are not used in the plots or diagrams. Hence I can not visually differentiate between for example gabbro and basalt in the diagram. 

So please, allow symbols in plots and diagrams to also have varying shapes and other parameters, preferably the same as the symbology of points in the map view. 

Tags (2)