pie chart for at least two variables.

06-08-2023 08:13 AM
Labels (1)
PSGeo
by
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

imagine having data for two years in the same table. the field is named year (filled with 2022 and 2023 accordingly). And another field named age_group (filled with young, adults and elders).

In a pie chart: I want to represent the count for each age group for 2022 on the left "half-moon" and on the right the same but for 2023. each half-moon is proportionally big to the total amount of records.

Therefore the chart should allow to choose a field to divide the pie (in example above the date) and another field for categories; finally to allow to make a proportion according to the totals for each year.

I hope u can do this, 

cheers

Pedro

Tags (3)
3 Comments
ChristopherAllen

Hi @PSGeo ,

We don't currently have plans to offer the specific chart type you've described, but in Pro 3.2 we will give you the ability to split a pie chart into groups and view the groups in a grid layout. This should allow you to create a grid of pie charts where each pie shows the breakdown for the "age_group" field for an individual year. 

Please see the following blog post for more information on grid charts:

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-pro/analytics/grid-layout-charts/

Take care,

Chris

PSGeo
by

Hi Chris,

thanks for your answer. That is great and I believe that more can be done with the charts in arcgis pro... or even for the dashboards online.

I can tell this is still taught in the university in geography disciplines. For comparing years, like my example above. But also comparing the number of new shops per country.

check the graphs bellow. Even the challenging coxcomb chart can be used for presenting this type of data distribution.

cheers

Pedro

Pie_and_Coxcomb_charts.png

ChristopherAllen

Hi Pedro, thank you for the suggestion and the examples! We will keep an eye on this Idea and potentially re-evaluate in the future. 

Take care,

Chris