Make Route Event Layer — Output layer's default name should use table name, not table owner

04-03-2023 08:31 AM
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

ArcGIS Pro 2.6.8; Oracle 18c 10.7.1 EGDB

When creating a linear referencing event layer using the Make Route Event Layer geoprocessing tool:

The tool automatically populates the output layer name in the "Layer Name or Table View" parameter. When the table has a prefix like "INFRASTR." (enterprise geodatabase), then that prefix is used as the default layer name: "INFRASTR Events".

That default name doesn't seem very useful. It would be better if the event table name were used instead: "LC_EVENTS Events". (In my case that name might seem slightly redundant, but that's just because of that particular table's name. Most other table names wouldn't come off as so redundant.)

Bud_0-1680534264448.png

Bud_1-1680534288500.png

Could the table name be used for the default output layer name, not the table owner? Or am I missing something?

Side Notes:

1. Why is that parameter called "Layer Name or Table View"? When would that tool ever output a table view? Maybe it should be called "Output Layer Name" instead.

2. Why do the Make Route Event Layer docs say:

Use the Make Feature Layer tool on the routes and/or the Make Table View tool on the events to reduce the number of routes and events that will be processed before running this tool.

Why does it specifically mention creating a Feature Layer or Table View, when using a definition query on the resulting event layer would be more obvious/self-documenting/simpler?

4 Comments
Bud
by

Whereas with data that doesn't have prefixes, such as file geodatabase data, the table name is used (as expected):

Bud_0-1680535925843.png

Bud
by

The issue can be reproduced with mobile geodatabase data as well, since mobile GDB tables and FCs have prefixes: “main.___”.

Bud_0-1680624871377.png

Bud
by

@KoryKramer Feel free to close.

Esri Case #03307915 - Make Route Event Layer — Output layer's default name should use table name, not table owner

A message from me to Support:
I wonder if what you did was browse to the event table using the browse icon in the GP tool. Which works as expected; the table name gets used in the event layer name.

Whereas I used the table from the Contents pane. That doesn’t work as expected; the table owner gets used in the event layer name.

BUG-000157571 - When running the Make Route Event Layer tool, the Layer Name or Table View default to the table owner instead of the table name in Oracle Enterprise Geodatabase

BUG-000157565 - When running the Make Route Event Layer tool, the Layer Name or Table View default to the table owner instead of the table name in Mobile Geodatabase

SSWoodward
Status changed to: Closed