ArcGIS Pro 3.1 documentation does not describe Framework Requirements

05-11-2023 12:27 PM
Labels (1)
RichardDaniels
Occasional Contributor III

ArcGIS Pro 3 requires .Net Framework 6.0 (64 bit) but there are MANY versions available. ESRI also specifies  that a Windows Installer must be used (why?). It appears the installer that most would use, Microsoft Windows Desktop Runtime 6.0.x is not enough to get ArcGIS Pro to work. One actually needs Download ASP.NET Core 6.0 Runtime (v6.0.16) - Windows x64 Installer (microsoft.com) as well.

The fact that a user even has to do hit or miss research is 'BAD' Please update help documents with explicit software requirements vs. just saying 'Net Framework 6.0 is required'.

Thank you,

Tags (1)
5 Comments
KoryKramer

Hi @RichardDaniels Thanks for submitting this idea to improve the documentation. The requirements do state that ".NET Desktop Runtime 6.0.5 or a later patch release" is required: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/get-started/arcgis-pro-system-requirements.htm

KoryKramer_0-1683836100680.png

The 6.0.5 link goes here: https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/download/dotnet/thank-you/runtime-desktop-6.0.5-windows-x64-installer. Clicking on that will directly download the correct minimum required version to run ArcGIS Pro 3.x. The 'a later patch release' does point to the overall download page, as I believe you're alluding to, because there will continue to be patch releases to that version of .NET that we can't link to from the doc before they exist. 

I'm not sure about the statement that ASP.NET Core Runtime is required. As stated in the documentation, you should just be able to use the .NET Desktop Runtime...

KoryKramer_1-1683836293950.png

What is your suggestion to make the documentation better and future-proofed?

RichardDaniels
ArcGIS Pro 3.1 requires 6.0.5 or Higher. We installed Windows Desktop Runtime 6.0.x (was 13 now 16) which does not work and is. We have also tried the pure Microsoft .Net Runtime (x64) which does not resolve the issue.
Recall, most end users do not have permissions to Install .Net Framework themselves. Your documentation needs to use the Exact given the wide array of options at Download .NET 6.0 (Linux, macOS, and Windows) (microsoft.com)<>.
KoryKramer

Hi @RichardDaniels I see that you had a support case open for this which indicates installing Microsoft Desktop .NET Framework 6.0.15 did resolve the issue for you. 

The comment above indicates that you installed "Windows Desktop Runtime 6.0.x (was 13 now 16)" which does not work, so unfortunately contradicts what I can see in the support case. 

When you say Windows Desktop Runtime..." do you mean ".NET Desktop Runtime..." which is what is indicated in the documentation? And links here: https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/download/dotnet/6.0 It looks like when that is downloaded and installed on the machine, it displays as Microsoft Windows Desktop Runtime - 6.0.16 (x64), so we're probably talking about the same thing.

KoryKramer_0-1683918014774.png

I have a machine with ArcGIS Pro 3.1.1 and previously had 6.0.14 on it. You can see from the screenshot above that I just installed 6.0.16 and Pro opens and works fine. So unfortunately if that is not working for you, I don't think that it is a problem that a documentation update will fix. 

I understand the desire for the documentation to tell the user exactly what is needed, but as noted above, there are multiple and sometimes frequent patch updates issued by Microsoft. Also the system requirements are just that, the minimum requirement to run the software in a supported manner. That minimum (.NET Desktop Runtime 6.0.5) is linked to explicitly and downloaded automatically without the user needing to make a decision or research the latest .NET 6.0.x patch available. 

We're discussing this with the documentation team to see if there is an opportunity to improve how this is described and delivered in the system requirements topic. For the issue of Pro not working with certain versions of .NET as you've indicated above, we can't address that through documentation. Please troubleshoot with technical support.

Thank you.

RichardDaniels

Here is the message from ArcGIS Pro 3.1.1 which references Microsoft.NETCore.App

RichardDaniels_0-1683929152721.png

KoryKramer

For anybody following this thread, or for those who may run across it in the future, ArcGIS Pro 3.3 (scheduled for May) requires .NET 8. See https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-pro/announcements/arcgis-pro-3-3-moves-to-net-8/

During installation of ArcGIS Pro 3.3, if we detect that .NET 8 is not present on the machine we will provide a message - in that message we are including a hyperlink to the .NET 8 download page as a response to this feedback. We hope that helps in situations like this one.