Traverse tool to edit Hosted Feature Layers

07-26-2022 12:03 PM
Labels (2)
KyleWikstrom
Occasional Contributor II

Is it possible to use the ArcGIS Pro Traverse tool to edit and store COGO attributes in a Hosted Feature Layer dataset that resides in ArcGIS Online? This does not appear to be the case when I have tested this when creating feature data when connected directly to the Hosted Feature Layer or when downloading the map and creating features with the Traverse tool.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It is possible! Any line layer that is COGO-enabled can be used with the Traverse tool in Pro to directly edit and update its COGO attributes and geometry.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
KyleWikstrom

Hi @jcarlson , thank you for responding. I hear you saying that it is possible to COGO-enable a Hosted Feature Layer (HFL) in ArcGIS Online. If so, can you provide information on how you COGO-enabled the HFL? I am unable to find documentation describing this, and publishing a COGO-enabled line feature class to AGO as an HFL was not successful for populating COGO attributes with the Traverse tool in ArcGIS Pro.

Much appreciated!

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You ought to be able to use the Enable COGO GP tool on the layer prior to processing. Not sure if you can run it against an already-published layer. Whether or not COGO is enabled is one of the settings defined in a hosted layer's JSON.

You can also use something like the Parcel Drafter Solution, which has a COGO-enabled line layer published as part of the solution. I imagine you could use that to create your layer, then just adapt it from there, rather than use it with the Parcel Drafter widget.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
KyleWikstrom

Hi Josh. We have run the Enable COGO GP tool on the layer prior to publishing as a Hosted Feature Layer. I've reviewed the HFL's JSON and was not able to locate a COGO-related setting. I'm suspecting that it may have to do with that, which may explain why the Pro Traverse tool will draw the geometry using COGO but not save the values into the attributes.

Thank you for the suggestion to use Parcel Drafter from ArcGIS Solutions. It is one I'm very familiar with and we explored this option, but unfortunately it will not meet all of the user requirements.

I'm open to other thoughts and ideas if you have them. My instinct is telling me this may be a limitation based on the nature of the issue and the content involved. I will plan to verify with the ArcGIS Online Product Team at Esri just to make sure since I wasn't able to find any online documentation related to this topic.

Much appreciated!

0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Hi Kyle,

Does this help?, has anyone seen anything newer than this link about AGOL support for true-curves?

FAQ: Are curves a supported geometry type for hosted feature layers in ArcGIS Online and the REST API?

https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000014684

0 Kudos
KyleWikstrom

Hi Bill,

The resource you provided is part of the answer to the question, and thank you. Apart from supported geometry types for ArcGIS Online hosted feature layers, there seems to be an issue with how the ArcGIS Pro Traverse and Update COGO tools work with saving the attributes in hosted feature layers. I'm considering working with Support to try and replicate the issue and determine if it is an issue or a limitation.

0 Kudos