Overlapping Features: Platted Lands

Jump to solution
02-16-2024 08:01 AM
Labels (2)
GrantCountyGISSup
New Contributor III

Good Morning,

I am fairly new to editing in the Parcel Fabric.  One issue I can't seem to get around is that for my platted lands layer, I have surveys that do overlap from time to time, whether it's a split or merge or boundary line verification, etc... 

I do not want to set any of the platted lands to historic because there are many people who use these layers to help them in their research (surveys, title companies, attorneys, etc).

Is there a way to allow the features to overlap and work properly in the parcel fabric without setting them to historical?  The only scenario I would set to historical is if the survey indicates it's a Replat or Correction of a previous survey.

Our current Platted lands has the Original survey metes and bounds

GrantCountyGISSup_0-1708099103367.png

Here is a clip of the Original from 2002:

GrantCountyGISSup_1-1708099151638.png

Here is another survey from 2013:

GrantCountyGISSup_2-1708099236818.png

Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kevin_Priestley
New Contributor II

Records play an important role in building parcels, too. Records are the digital representation of legal descriptions.

From what you've described in your posts, it seems like the red parcel and the yellow parcel belong to different records (e.g. they are referenced in different legal descriptions).

If you assign boundary lines for the red and yellow parcels to their respective records, the create seeds and build tools should ignore overlapping lines that belong to different records.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
ChristineLeslie
Esri Contributor

Hi - there is no reason why you cant let current parcels overlap within the same parcel type. There is nothing that will make the parcel fabric not perform properly if current parcels overlap. There is also no default topology rule that prevents overlapping polygons either - andusers are free to add that rule if they need it for their organization - but it is not added by default.

Also, we  model floor-level parcels as overlapping parcels in a parcel type that supports strata parcels

Hope this helps

Christine

0 Kudos
GrantCountyGISSup
New Contributor III

Christine thank you! I will look into the strata parcels because I do believe we had that built in.  I guess the reason I am bringing this up is because when I try to build the seeds the lines stop it from building completely.  I had this happen in a feature just south of the one in the example above.

GrantCountyGISSup_0-1708121042365.png

The red parcel was the original survey but the yellow parcel would only build to the red line.

0 Kudos
Kevin_Priestley
New Contributor II

Records play an important role in building parcels, too. Records are the digital representation of legal descriptions.

From what you've described in your posts, it seems like the red parcel and the yellow parcel belong to different records (e.g. they are referenced in different legal descriptions).

If you assign boundary lines for the red and yellow parcels to their respective records, the create seeds and build tools should ignore overlapping lines that belong to different records.

ChristineLeslie
Esri Contributor

Correct - to follow on from Kevins comment- do the red and yellow parcel lines belong to the same record or to different records? I am presuming they are associated to the same record seeing that seeds have already been created?

GrantCountyGISSup
New Contributor III

I think you are both on to something, yes these were from different "records".  I will have to remember that  next time.  Our county as a whole is new to the parcel fabric so records are getting created as I resume my parcel splits processing.  I'll validate an area and see if there is something that needs attention as well.  Turning records on and off is still something I have to keep reminding myself to do.  

Thank you for your inputs!

0 Kudos
CFECAK
by
New Contributor II

Very curious about this as we have a similar issue with building Easements.  In our case, the easements do overlap and are on the same record, and when we do a build it will not build them correctly.

0 Kudos
KevinPriestley
Esri Contributor

Without knowing more about your data structure, what I imagine is happening is that the easements and parcels are being added to the fabric in the same parcel type.

Seeds get created when 3 criteria are met: parcel lines form enclosures; parcel lines belong to the same record; parcel lines are stored in the same parcel type.

Here is an example from testing:

1. The red lines represent a parcel. The purple lines represents an easement crossing the parcel. The lines for the parcel and the easement form enclosures, belong to the same record, but are stored in different parcel types:

KevinPriestley_2-1708442366018.png

2. Seeds are created for both parcels:

KevinPriestley_3-1708442455617.png

3. Build Active expands the seeds into parcel polygons according to their parcel types, while keeping them in the same record:

KevinPriestley_4-1708442647981.png

So the question becomes how to handle these situations when you're adding data to the fabric.

If you're using manual entry (aka the Traverse tool) you could create a traverse for the parcel lines, then a second traverse for the easements.

If you have the linework all ready to go (from a feature class), another strategy would be to create attribute fields that allow you to delineate the parcel lines from the easements: assign 0s and 1s to two attribute fields, one field that tells you whether a line is a parcel line; the second field to tell you whether a line is an easement.

After creating the attribute fields and assigning values to them, you can use Select By Attributes in combination with the Copy Lines To tool to generate seeds in the parcel type for parcels; then again to generate seeds for the easements parcel type. 

Hopefully that helps!

0 Kudos
GrantCountyGISSup
New Contributor III

So we do not map easements, but I agree your situation is similar.  I took Kevin and Christine's advice regarding having separate records and the overlaps occurred without an issue.

0 Kudos