Select to view content in your preferred language

certain of its properties canot be computed ? ?

Jump to solution
02-11-2021 01:30 PM
Labels (1)
GISTech
New Contributor III

Hello Friends,

I have managed to mangle something in my parcel fabric, which generates an error that I really don't understand. I wonder if anybody has seen this before and perhaps could direct me to the right place for more information. The usual searches turn up nothing.

When I attempt to build the parcel fabric (either by extent or by active record):

GISTech_0-1613076809411.png

I sure wish I knew which geometry was the offending, but this error does not tell me. Nor does it tell me which incalculable properties I should be concerned about.

I've resorted to "Build Extent" with various parts of my fabric in view.  It only throws the error when a specific subdivision is in the extent. I've tried with only one tax parcel or another (from this subdivision) in the extent, and all throw this same error... which tells me that the problem is with either the subdivision polygon or with the record polygon underlying all of these features. I've examined both and cannot find anything unusual.... although I am certainly not an expert eye, so perhaps there is something I should be seeing, but don't.

I can fall back to a backup and re-create the subdivision, but I'd really rather not.  More importantly, I would like to know what this error message is trying to tell me so that I can attempt repairs. Any ideas on how to decode would really help.

Many Thanks,

Gene Trantham

• ArcGIS Pro 2.7
  • Fabric version 4
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GISTech
New Contributor III

Hello Amir,

Thank you for the helpful pointers. . . I believe that my problem was related to a very closely spaced set of points that needed to have been merged.  The subdivision polygon overlapped itself here also because of how the points were sequenced. I reduced the subdivision to seed, corrected/merged points and rebuilt -- this eliminated the error.

Thanks again,

--gt

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

This error originates from the geometry engine and usually indicates that the geometry is being degenerated.

Examples include: a 2 point line being collapsed to a point, a curve turning to a straight line, a polygon with a zero area.

To know for certain you can submit a technical support case. You can also check the data for very small lines (almost as small as the XY resolution), curves that are very flat (radius close to infinity), polygons that are very small. Running the geoprocessing Check Geometry or Repair Geometry might help.

0 Kudos
GISTech
New Contributor III

Hello Amir,

Thank you for the helpful pointers. . . I believe that my problem was related to a very closely spaced set of points that needed to have been merged.  The subdivision polygon overlapped itself here also because of how the points were sequenced. I reduced the subdivision to seed, corrected/merged points and rebuilt -- this eliminated the error.

Thanks again,

--gt