Acreage does not match the polygon Shape.STArea() calculated in ARCGIS Pro

Jump to solution
10-02-2023 11:05 AM
Labels (3)
JoshCruz
New Contributor

Using ARCGIS Pro 3.1.

In the document the surveyor states: "1.789 acres (78,330 square feet), more or less."

After entering the coordinates with the traverse tool and triple checking, the attribute table shows that the Shape.STArea() is 12146.758807. 

I looked up all SRID in the sys.spatial_reference_systems and they all use square metres.

I created a label class that calculates the acreage with this VBscript: "Acres: " & Round(CDbl([Shape.STArea()]/4046.85642), 3)

The acreage for the parcel comes out to about 3.002.

I did a test by creating another polygon and using the measure distance tool to measure it. The measure distance tool and the acreage label class calculation match. 

Should I just take the surveyor's statement "1.789 acres (78,330 square feet), more or less." and the 1.2 acre difference as the "more" and go ahead and map it?

I am pretty new to GIS so I really appreciate any help or advice. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ThomasHoman
Occasional Contributor III

You have a problem somewhere so better to figure it out early rather than fixing later. Almost double would be too far off to accept. Is there a chance that the surveyor was splitting a larger lot that your traversal described and you missed the splitting line?

Could you share the survey document and where you are located/expected coordinate system

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ThomasHoman

You have a problem somewhere so better to figure it out early rather than fixing later. Almost double would be too far off to accept. Is there a chance that the surveyor was splitting a larger lot that your traversal described and you missed the splitting line?

Could you share the survey document and where you are located/expected coordinate system

JoshCruz
New Contributor

Ah yes I made a mistake there are two parcels a northern and southern half and the northern is the larger one. Can't believe I made this mistake but thanks anyway @ThomasHoman !

ThomasHoman

@JoshCruz Sweet! We've all done the same thing.

0 Kudos