What is the best way to publish interactive web map from ArcGIS Pro?

07-25-2023 09:10 AM
vg11
by
New Contributor III

Hello everyone, I wasn't sure whether to post this in ArcGIS Pro or ArcGIS Online so it is going to both. I am using ArcGIS Pro 3.1.2 and been publishing online to use in Map Viewer and using instant apps and experience builder. 

I work for an organization as a GIS analyst and recently made a map for my company. My supervisor is saying it is occupying too many credits... I am trying to find a way to publish what I need and conserve as many credits as possible. I am not able to see the credits I am using, if yall are able, can you please give me an idea of a 'normal' amount of credit usage for a company that would regularly use and publish maps? (I barely understand credits)

Currently, I have a web map shared using the configuration 'Copy all data: Exploratory'. I believe this shares my web map as feature layers. Well, map viewer does not honor the symbology and label rotations I have when I use feature layers or vector tiles, so I am using a custom basemap comprised of 3 tile layers. The tile layers are cached locally on my server. I have 2 custom basemaps, a blank white and a world imagery, both with the same 3 tile layers. I did this in order to maintain the overall look of the map, but also made the corresponding feature layers within the web map invisible so you are able to interact with the map. Seeing the tile layers but interacting with the invisible feature layers. The idea of this map is that I would re-publish once a month, web map and tile layers, with updated information. Overall goals are conserving space while sharing an interactive map. 

Please offer some guidance on a better way to publish this and some ways to conserve space. I can share the map if necessary. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Tile layers are going to eat up your storage credits fast. If you need cartography options that hosted layers can't accomplish, you'll really need to weigh the cost. Maybe AGOL will eventually get Hosted Map Image Layers, which give you access to complex symbology with hosted layers. Until then, I think you're stuck with what you've got.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
MiguelParedes
Esri Contributor

Greetings @vg11 

I would strongly suggest having a look at the page Understand credits to get an idea of how credits are used and by what item types.

Hope the above is of help...

Miguel