What are the best SOPs for using ArcGIS Online for GIS Data and mapping for a 2 user Org?

06-09-2023 10:00 AM
Labels (1)
JustinJohnston
Occasional Contributor II

Hi everyone,

Our small environmental company has in the past had all GIS done by just myself.  I saved files in OneDrive and although that had some issues, it worked for just me.  I just hired a new Environmental staff person who is now the 2nd GIS person in our org.  We need to collaborate on mapping now and she opened the first map that was on my Sharepoint site and got an error about files being deleted.  I realize ArcGIS will just not work on Sharepoint like that, but I don't know what procedures we should be using instead.  I understand we could move our feature classes into ArcGIS Online, but I don't know the best workflows and such to make that work correctly.  Can someone give me some clues?  Is there a training, presentation, video, manual, or something you can point me to?

Also, we are not to a point where we would be able to justify a Enterprise or a local server with VPN access and such.

Cheers,

Justin

0 Kudos
1 Reply
David_McRitchie
Esri Contributor

It will depend on what you want to share. If it is primarily just data then the Onedrive/Sharepoint route should work, but if you wish to share web maps, or have the capability to edit the same datasets in real time then ArcGIS Online sounds most suitable.

I would recommend checking out the Esri Training catalogue. There are a range of quick and detailed courses that you can do in your own time.

The following learning plan deals with using workflows on ArcGIS Online, mainly uploading and managing data.

Hope that helps!

David

Esri UK -Technical Support Analyst
0 Kudos