Unable to share any items to ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
01-11-2024 05:51 PM
AliciaMcMurchie1
New Contributor III

Unfortunately, I've suddenly found that I cannot publish web layers from ArcGIS Pro to ArcGIS Online. The job gets stuck on Uploading Service Definition for a long time and then will fail. I've also tried generating a service definition file and uploading that directly, and it also fails. I've created a support ticket, but in the meantime, is anyone familiar with how to resolve this issue? I'm using ArcGIS Pro 3.2.1 and was able to upload web layers without trouble just 2 days ago. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AliciaMcMurchie1
New Contributor III

I wish I had some helpful advice for others, but the resolution was this: when I logged on this morning, suddenly I could upload web layers to AGOL again. It appears AGOL simply was not working last night, and the problem was not related to our data, Pro installation, Pro version, or account permissions. 

View solution in original post

8 Replies
RonaldHaug
Occasional Contributor II

Hi AliciaMcMurchie1,

Bummer. I hate to ask the obvious, but what kind of warnings or errors did you get when you analyzed your file before publishing?

That would help us all better understand your dilemma.

AliciaMcMurchie1
New Contributor III

When I analyzed, I got no errors or warnings at all, which is part of why I'm so confused as to why this is happening. 

0 Kudos
AliciaMcMurchie1
New Contributor III

I'm not sure if this would be helpful, but here's the last part of the log: 

AliciaMcMurchie1_0-1705025216207.png

0 Kudos
RonaldHaug

Hi AliciaMcMurchie1!

Hmmm. Ok next obvious steps.

1) Are you logged into ArcGIS Pro (top right hand corner)?

2) Save your project on ArcGIS Pro.

3) Log in to ArcGIS Online on a web browser.

4) If you are already yes, yes, yes on the above, log out of ArcGIS online and log in again. 

Let us know if this works. I'm hopeful it's just a switching error, but if it doesn't, then with good fortune someone with more experience will jump in at this point with another potential solution. Fingers crossed.

AliciaMcMurchie1
New Contributor III

Unfortunately, I followed those steps and still had the exact same result. 

A few other things I tried:

-Publishing from the local drive instead of the network drive

-Checking my permissions (I'm Creator type, Administrator role, so that's not the problem)

-Checking the field and file names (all were compatible)

Things I have not yet tried:

-Having someone else in the organization try to share a file

-Uninstalling and Reinstalling Pro

I CAN publish the exact same shapefile from Pro to the Enterprise Portal as a hosted feature layer. It looks like it's just AGOL that is the issue. 

0 Kudos
AliciaMcMurchie1
New Contributor III

I wish I had some helpful advice for others, but the resolution was this: when I logged on this morning, suddenly I could upload web layers to AGOL again. It appears AGOL simply was not working last night, and the problem was not related to our data, Pro installation, Pro version, or account permissions. 

RonaldHaug

Oh ya! 

"Tomorrow is another day!" Vivien Leigh in Gone with the Wind.

0 Kudos
PeterMacKenzie2

I am getting this exact issue. I spent hours trying to publish from Pro 3.2.1 to AGOL this morning. 
Then out of the blue and with no changes to the map it worked. Within minutes the layer published OK.
Now it's back to to 15+ minutes (stuck on the Uploading service definition step) and counting....
Anyone know what is causing this?

0 Kudos