Sharing layers to a new group not being categorised

Jump to solution
2 weeks ago
Labels (1)
AndrewHankinson
New Contributor III

Morning, 

I have a group set up to share data between me and anouther AGOL user, I have shared data to this group previously and everything has been fine. 

This time I have shared 9 hosted feature layers which have all been categorised, in my content if I select that category all the relevant layers are listed. 

However, I have shared these layers to the group and they come through as 'Uncategorised' even though they are categorised and the category is in the 'Group categories' section. 

Does anybody know why this would happen?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BernSzukalski
Esri Frequent Contributor

There are two kinds of categories - organization wide categories and group categories. Group categories are uniquely defined within the group and can only be discovered by those with access to the content in the group.

Organization categories can be discovered by anyone with access to the content across the organization and are "outside the box" of group categories..

You can add content to a group by filtering based on organization categories. When you set up categories in the group, they are unique to the group and only apply to content in the group.

This is a dated blog article, but is still valid.

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/administration/content-categories-four-ways-...

I think it would be beneficial and useful to search group content by organizaton categories, or to be able to set up a group using existing organization categories rather than create unique ones within the group. 

I'll take this up with the dev team, but encourage you to add this as an idea if you agree and get others to vote it up.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
BernSzukalski
Esri Frequent Contributor

There are two kinds of categories - organization wide categories and group categories. Group categories are uniquely defined within the group and can only be discovered by those with access to the content in the group.

Organization categories can be discovered by anyone with access to the content across the organization and are "outside the box" of group categories..

You can add content to a group by filtering based on organization categories. When you set up categories in the group, they are unique to the group and only apply to content in the group.

This is a dated blog article, but is still valid.

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/administration/content-categories-four-ways-...

I think it would be beneficial and useful to search group content by organizaton categories, or to be able to set up a group using existing organization categories rather than create unique ones within the group. 

I'll take this up with the dev team, but encourage you to add this as an idea if you agree and get others to vote it up.

0 Kudos
AndrewHankinson
New Contributor III

Hi @BernSzukalski 

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. 

I realised what I've done wrong, although I created the same category in the group as I have in the organisation I didn't assign this category to the layers correctly. I was expecting that once everything matched it would auto categorise or I could assign the category again in the overview page of the layer at worst so it would refresh.

Instead I needed to manually assign the group category to the layer via the ellipsis within the list view in the group.

It would be handy to have it so that if a layer is already categorised that if it is then shared to a group and the same category added to that group then all the associated layers would auto categorise instead of doing each one manually. 

I've added the idea here - Automatic assigning of organisational categories w... - Esri Community

0 Kudos