Publish tile layer to be used as layer, not basemap

09-19-2023 05:43 AM
abrown8
New Contributor III

Hi all

I am wanting to publish a PNG image as a tile layer to be used in a map but not as a basemap, I want to keep the Topographic basemap and switch the PNG tile visibility on/off. Ideally without consuming any credits.

From ArcGIS Pro I have tried publishing the image as a Tile Layer with caching locally but when I add the tile to the Map Viewer in AGOL the only option is to have it as a basemap. The tile package is fairly small size (45mb with levels of detail street to county)

Is there something that I am doing wrong or an alternative  process I'm not aware of?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

In Map Viewer, make sure you select the Layers icon, then select Add:

RhettZufelt_0-1695147246558.png

Once you find the published tile layer, you can click the + Add button:

RhettZufelt_1-1695147293517.png

which should add it as a data layer, not a basemap.

Or, you can click on the tile layer itself and choose where to add it:

RhettZufelt_3-1695147349911.png

This will add it to the layers and can be moved above/below other layers, and toggled on/off:

RhettZufelt_4-1695147493960.png

R_

0 Kudos
KevinFreibergerJA
New Contributor

@abrown8 I am experiencing the same issue. My Tile Layer is defaulting to the basemap even though I simply click "Add to map" and not "Use as basemap".

0 Kudos
abrown8
New Contributor III

@KevinFreibergerJA I did manage in the end, I think it was when publishing from ArcPro to check what the coordinate system of the raster is and ensuring that you set the tiling mechanism to ArcGIS Online.